This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug, changing your diet or commencing any course of treatment.
Very important. A change in your diet, medicine, or dosage may be necessary. Promptly consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How the interaction occurs:
When grapefruit or grapefruit juice is taken with cyclosporine, it may increase the amount of this medicine absorbed into your bloodstream.
What might happen:
The level of this medicine in your blood may increase. The beneficial or toxic effects of this medicine may increase. This effect can vary from person to person. Therefore, the exact amount by which this interaction may effect you is not predictable.
What you should do about this interaction:
While you are taking this medicine, do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice at any time, unless otherwise directed by your doctor. You may choose an alternative citrus beverage (such as orange juice). In the event that you are instructed by a healthcare professional (e.g., doctor, pharmacist, or dietitian) to eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice, you should immediately discuss with your doctor the effects of grapefruit on the blood levels of this medicine. Contact your healthcare professional for more information.Your healthcare professionals may be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change your medicine or diet before checking with them first.
- 1.Ducharme MP, Warbasse LH, Edwards DJ. Disposition of intravenous and oral cyclosporine after administration with grapefruit juice. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1995 May;57(5):485-91.
- 2.Yee GC, Stanley DL, Pessa LJ, Dalla Costa T, Beltz SE, Ruiz J, Lowenthal DT. Effect of grapefruit juice on blood cyclosporin concentration. Lancet 1995 Apr 15;345(8955):955-6.
- 3.Hollander AA, van Rooij J, Lentjes GW, Arbouw F, van Bree JB, Schoemaker RC, van Es LA, van der Woude FJ, Cohen AF. The effect of grapefruit juice on cyclosporine and prednisone metabolism in transplant patients. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1995 Mar;57(3):318-24.
- 4.Min DI, Ku YM, Perry PJ, Ukah FO, Ashton K, Martin MF, Hunsicker LG. Effect of grapefruit juice on cyclosporine pharmacokinetics in renal transplant patients. Transplantation 1996 Jul 15;62(1):123-5.
- 5.Bailey DG, Malcolm J, Arnold O, Spence JD. Grapefruit juice-drug interactions. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1998 Aug;46(2):101-10.
- 6.Mehrsai AR, Pourmand G, Mansour D, Zand S, Rezaali A. Effect of grapefruit juice on serum concentration of cyclosporine in Iranian renal transplant patients. Transplant Proc 2003 Nov;35(7):2739-41.
- 7.Ku YM, Min DI, Flanigan M. Effect of grapefruit juice on the pharmacokinetics of microemulsion cyclosporine and its metabolite in healthy volunteers: does the formulation difference matter?. J Clin Pharmacol 1998 Oct;38(10):959-65.
- 8.Proppe DG, Hoch OD, McLean AJ, Visser KE. Influence of chronic ingestion of grapefruit juice on steady-state blood concentrations of cyclosporine A in renal transplant patients with stable graft function. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1995 Mar;39(3):337-8.
- 9.Brunner LJ, Munar MY, Vallian J, Wolfson M, Stennett DJ, Meyer MM, Bennett WM. Interaction between cyclosporine and grapefruit juice requires long-term ingestion in stable renal transplant recipients. Pharmacotherapy 1998 Jan-Feb;18(1):23-9.
- 10.Paine MF, Widmer WW, Pusek SN, Beavers KL, Criss AB, Snyder J, Watkins PB. Further characterization of a furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice on drug disposition: studies with cyclosporine. Am J Clin Nutr 2008 Apr; 87(4):863-71.
- 11.Schwarz UI, Johnston PE, Bailey DG, Kim RB, Mayo G, Milstone A. Impact of citrus soft drinks relative to grapefruit juice on ciclosporin disposition. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006 Oct;62(4):485-91.
- 12.Hermann M, Asberg A, Reubsaet JL, Sather S, Berg KJ, Christensen H. Intake of grapefruit juice alters the metabolic pattern of cyclosporin A in renal transplant recipients. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 2002 Oct; 40(10):451-6.
- 13.Lee M, Min DI, Ku YM, Flanigan M. Effect of grapefruit juice on pharmacokinetics of microemulsion cyclosporine in African American subjects compared with Caucasian subjects: does ethnic difference matter?. J Clin Pharmacol 2001 Mar;41(3):317-23.
- 14.Bistrup C, Nielsen FT, Jeppesen UE, Dieperink H. Effect of grapefruit juice on Sandimmun Neoral absorption among stable renal allograft recipients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2001 Feb;16(2):373-7.
- 15.Brunner LJ, Pai KS, Munar MY, Lande MB, Olyaei AJ, Mowry JA. Effect of grapefruit juice on cyclosporin A pharmacokinetics in pediatric renal transplant patients. Pediatr Transplant 2000 Nov;4(4):313-21.
- 16.Edwards DJ, Fitzsimmons ME, Schuetz EG, Yasuda K, Ducharme MP, Warbasse LH, Woster PM, Schuetz JD, Watkins P. 6',7'-Dihydroxybergamottin in grapefruit juice and Seville orange juice: effects on cyclosporine disposition, enterocyte CYP3A4, and P-glycoprotein. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1999 Mar;65(3):237-44.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.