Cyclosporine/Grapefruit Juice Interaction Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug, changing your diet or commencing any course of treatment.
Very important. A change in your diet, medicine, or dosage may be necessary. Promptly consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How the interaction occurs:
When grapefruit or grapefruit juice is taken with cyclosporine, it may increase the amount of this medicine absorbed into your bloodstream.
What might happen:
The level of this medicine in your blood may increase. The beneficial or toxic effects of this medicine may increase. This effect can vary from person to person. Therefore, the exact amount by which this interaction may effect you is not predictable.
What you should do about this interaction:
While you are taking this medicine, do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice at any time, unless otherwise directed by your doctor. You may choose an alternative citrus beverage (such as orange juice). In the event that you are instructed by a healthcare professional (e.g., doctor, pharmacist, or dietitian) to eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice, you should immediately discuss with your doctor the effects of grapefruit on the blood levels of this medicine. Contact your healthcare professional for more information.Your healthcare professionals may be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change your medicine or diet before checking with them first.
- 1.Ducharme MP, Warbasse LH, Edwards DJ. Disposition of intravenous and oral cyclosporine after administration with grapefruit juice. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1995 May;57(5):485-91.
- 2.Yee GC, Stanley DL, Pessa LJ, Dalla Costa T, Beltz SE, Ruiz J, Lowenthal DT. Effect of grapefruit juice on blood cyclosporin concentration. Lancet 1995 Apr 15;345(8955):955-6.
- 3.Hollander AA, van Rooij J, Lentjes GW, Arbouw F, van Bree JB, Schoemaker RC, van Es LA, van der Woude FJ, Cohen AF. The effect of grapefruit juice on cyclosporine and prednisone metabolism in transplant patients. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1995 Mar;57(3):318-24.
- 4.Min DI, Ku YM, Perry PJ, Ukah FO, Ashton K, Martin MF, Hunsicker LG. Effect of grapefruit juice on cyclosporine pharmacokinetics in renal transplant patients. Transplantation 1996 Jul 15;62(1):123-5.
- 5.Bailey DG, Malcolm J, Arnold O, Spence JD. Grapefruit juice-drug interactions. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1998 Aug;46(2):101-10.
- 6.Mehrsai AR, Pourmand G, Mansour D, Zand S, Rezaali A. Effect of grapefruit juice on serum concentration of cyclosporine in Iranian renal transplant patients. Transplant Proc 2003 Nov;35(7):2739-41.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.