This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Ciprofloxacin may slow down how quickly your liver processes olanzapine.Ciprofloxacin can affect your heart's rhythm. Other drugs can have the same effect.
What might happen:
The amount of olanzapine in your blood may increase and cause more side effects than normal.The combination of ciprofloxacin and olanzapine can potentially increase your risk for an irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Let your doctor know right away if you have any severe drowsiness, slurred speech, agitation, restlessness, tremors, muscle stiffness, irregular heartbeat or fainting episodes.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Chiu CC, Lane HY, Huang MC, Liu HC, Jann MW, Hon YY, Chang WH, Lu ML. Dose-dependent alternations in the pharmacokinetics of olanzapine during coadministration of fluvoxamine in patients with schizophrenia. J Clin Pharmacol 2004 Dec;44(12):1385-90.
- 2.Gandhi A, Moorthy B, Ghose R. Drug disposition in pathophysiological conditions. Curr Drug Metab 2012 Nov;13(9):1327-44.
- 3.Christensen H, Hermann M. Immunological response as a source to variability in drug metabolism and transport. Front Pharmacol 2012;3:8.
- 4.Morgan ET. Impact of infectious and inflammatory disease on cytochrome P450-mediated drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2009 Apr;85(4):434-8.
- 5.Cipro (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Corporation October 18, 2018.
- 6.Woosley RL, Romero KA. www.Crediblemeds.org, QTdrugs List, AZCERT, Inc. 1822 Innovation Park Dr., Oro Valley, AZ 85755. November 17, 2015.
- 7.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 8.Ciproxin (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer plc April 13, 2010.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.