Digoxin/Ibuprofen; Indomethacin Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
The cause of the interaction is not known. When these two medicines are taken together, your body may not process digoxin properly.
What might happen:
Your blood levels of digoxin may increase and cause toxic effects.
What you should do about this interaction:
If you experience changes in vision, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, weakness, or irregular heartbeat, contact your doctor. It may be necessary to adjust your dose of digoxin.Your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Quattrocchi FP, Robinson JD, Curry RW Jr, Grieco ML, Schulman SG. The effect of ibuprofen on serum digoxin concentrations. Drug Intell Clin Pharm 1983 Apr;17(4):286-8.
- 2.Jorgensen HS, Christensen HR, Kampmann JP. Interaction between digoxin and indomethacin or ibuprofen. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1991 Jan;31(1):108-10.
- 3.Mayes LC, Boerth RC. Digoxin-indomethacin interaction. Pediatr Res 1980; 14(4 Part 2):469.
- 4.Koren G, Zarfin Y, Perlman M, MacLeod SM. Effects of indomethacin on digoxin pharmacokinetics in preterm infants. Pediatr Pharmacol (New York) 1984;4(1):25-30.
- 5.Haig GM, Brookfield EG. Increase in serum digoxin concentrations after indomethacin therapy in a full-term neonate. Pharmacotherapy 1992; 12(4):334-6.
- 6.Schimmel MS, Inwood RJ, Eidelman AI, Eylath U. Toxic digitalis levels associated with indomethacin therapy in a neonate. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1980 Nov;19(11):768-9.
- 7.Sziegoleit W, Weiss M, Fahr A, Forster W. Are serum levels and cardiac effects of digoxin influenced by indometacin?. Pharmazie 1986 May; 41(5):340-2.
- 8.Finch MB, Johnston GD, Kelly JG, McDevitt DG. Pharmacokinetics of digoxin alone and in the presence of indomethacin therapy. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1984 Mar;17(3):353-5.
- 9.Lanoxin (digoxin) Tablets US prescribing information. Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. August, 2018.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.