Atorvastatin > 20 mg/Gemfibrozil Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Severe. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
The cause of the interaction is not known.
What might happen:
You may experience an increased risk of severe muscle pain, flu-like symptoms, and sudden decrease in the amount of urine.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together. This interaction may be worse if you currently have any type of kidney problem. Tell your doctor right away if you experience muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness; unexplained tiredness; or discolored urine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this drug interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Stone NJ, Robinson JG, Lichtenstein AH, Goff DC Jr, Lloyd-Jones DM, Smith SC Jr, Blum C, Schwartz JS. Treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk in adults: synopsis of the 2013 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association cholesterol guideline. Ann Intern Med 2014 Mar 4;160(5):339-43.
- 2.Wiggins BS, Saseen JJ, Page RL 2nd, Reed BN, Sneed K, Kostis JB, Lanfear D, Virani S, Morris PB. Recommendations for Management of Clinically Significant Drug-Drug Interactions With Statins and Select Agents Used in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation 2016 Nov 22;134(21):e468-e495.
- 3.Lopid (gemfibrozil) US prescribing information. Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. April, 2018.
- 4.Lipazil (gemfibrozil) Australian product information. Ascent Pharma Pty Ltd December 5, 2011.
- 5.Teva-Gemfibrozil (gemfibrozil) Canadian product monograph. Teva Canada Limited June 29, 2015.
- 6.Lopid (gemfibrozil) UK summary of product characteristics. Pfizer Limited May, 2016.
- 7.Lipitor (atorvastatin) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. April, 2019.
- 8.Lipitor (atorvastatin) Canadian product information. Pfizer Canada Inc. May 31, 2019.
- 9.Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium trihydrate) UK summary of product characteristics. Pfizer Limited April 1, 2019.
- 10.Thompson GR, Ford J, Jenkinson M, Trayner I. Efficacy of mevinolin as adjuvant therapy for refractory familial hypercholesterolaemia. Q J Med 1986 Aug;60(232):803-11.
- 11.Goldman JA, Fishman AB, Lee JE, Johnson RJ. The role of cholesterol-lowering agents in drug-induced rhabdomyolysis and polymyositis. Arthritis Rheum 1989 Mar;32(3):358-9.
- 12.Kind AH, Zakowski LJ, McBride PE. Rhabdomyolysis from the combination of a statin and gemfibrozil: an uncommon but serious adverse reaction. WMJ 2002;101(7):53-6.
- 13.VHA Pharmacy Benefits Management-Strategic Healthcare Group and The Medical Advisory Panel. STATIN-FIBRATE REPORT: Focus on Safety. available at: http://www.pbm.va.gov/PBM/clinicalguidance/clinicalrecommendations/statin fibratesafetyreportFinal.doc September, 2004.
- 14.Jones PH, Davidson MH. Reporting rate of rhabdomyolysis with fenofibrate + statin versus gemfibrozil + any statin. Am J Cardiol 2005 Jan 1; 95(1):120-2.
- 15.Prueksaritanont T, Zhao JJ, Ma B, Roadcap BA, Tang C, Qiu Y, Liu L, Lin JH, Pearson PG, Baillie TA. Mechanistic studies on metabolic interactions between gemfibrozil and statins. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2002 Jun; 301(3):1042-51.
- 16.Backman JT, Luurila H, Neuvonen M, Neuvonen PJ. Rifampin markedly decreases and gemfibrozil increases the plasma concentrations of atorvastatin and its metabolites. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2005 Aug; 78(2):154-67.
- 17.Fujino H, Yamada I, Shimada S, Hirano M, Tsunenari Y, Kojima J. Interaction between fibrates and statins--metabolic interactions with gemfibrozil. Drug Metabol Drug Interact 2003;19(3):161-76.
- 18.Duell PB, Connor WE, Illingworth DR. Rhabdomyolysis after taking atorvastatin with gemfibrozil. Am J Cardiol 1998 Feb 1;81(3):368-9.
- 19.Shanahan RL, Kerzee JA, Sandhoff BG, Carroll NM, Merenich JA. Low myopathy rates associated with statins as monotherapy or combination therapy with interacting drugs in a group model health maintenance organization. Pharmacotherapy 2005 Mar;25(3):345-51.
- 20.Graham DJ, Staffa JA, Shatin D, Andrade SE, Schech SD, La Grenade L, Gurwitz JH, Chan KA, Goodman MJ, Platt R. Incidence of hospitalized rhabdomyolysis in patients treated with lipid-lowering drugs. JAMA 2004 Dec 1;292(21):2585-90.
- 21.Alsheikh-Ali AA, Kuvin JT, Karas RH. Risk of adverse events with fibrates. Am J Cardiol 2004 Oct 1;94(7):935-8.
- 22.Oldemeyer JB, Lund RJ, Koch M, Meares AJ, Dunlay R. Rhabdomyolysis and acute renal failure after changing statin-fibrate combinations. Cardiology 2000;94(2):127-8.
- 23.Grundy SM, Stone NJ, Bailey AL, Beam C, Birtcher KK, Blumenthal RS, Braun LT, de Ferranti S, Faiella-Tommasino J, Forman DE, Goldberg R, Heidenreich PA. 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2019 Jun 25;73(24):e285-e350.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.