Selected Extended-Release CNS Stimulants/Alcohol Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug, changing your diet or commencing any course of treatment.
Very important. A change in your diet, medicine, or dosage may be necessary. Promptly consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How the interaction occurs:
Your medicine is designed to release your medicine throughout the day. Alcohol may speed up how quickly the medicine is released and may result in most or all of the medicine being released at one time.
What might happen:
The amount of medicine in your blood may increase rapidly and could cause side effects such as high blood pressure, an irregular heartbeat, agitation, anxiety, seizures or tremors.
What you should do about this interaction:
Avoid alcohol when using this medicine because it may cause the medication to be released too quickly and increase the risk of side effects.Contact your healthcare professional (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) for more information.Your healthcare professionals may be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change your medicine or diet before checking with them first.
- 1.Adzenys XR-ODT (amphetamine extended release, orally disintegrating tablet) US prescribing information. Neos Therapeutics, LP October 18, 2016.
- 2.Dyanavel XR (amphetamine suspension, sustained release) US prescribing information. Tris Pharma Inc May 18, 2017.
- 3.Mydayis ER (amphetamine) US prescribing information. Shire LLC June, 2017.
- 4.Concerta (methylphenidate) Extended-Release prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals January, 2017.
- 5.Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate extended-release orally disintegrating tablets) US prescribing information. Neo Therapeutics, Inc. June, 2017.
- 6.Metadate CD (methylphenidate) Extended-Release Capsules prescribing information. UCB Inc. April, 2015.
- 7.Ritalin LA (methylphenidate hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation November, 2019.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.