Pimozide/Selected Azole Antifungals Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Severe. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When pimozide is taken with some antifungal medicines, your body may process pimozide more slowly.
What might happen:
Your blood levels of pimozide may increase. This may result in an irregular heartbeat, which may be life threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together. They may already be aware of this drug interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not stop, start, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Diflucan (fluconazole) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. February, 2019.
- 2.Orap (pimozide) US prescribing information. Gate Pharmaceuticals August, 2011.
- 3.Sporanox (itraconazole) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceutica Products, L.P. May, 2018.
- 4.Noxafil (posaconazole) UK summary of product characteristics. Schering-Plough Ltd. February 2, 2006.
- 5.Noxafil (posaconazole) US prescribing information. Merck & Co. Inc September, 2016.
- 6.Vfend (voriconazole) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. January, 2019.
- 7.Nizoral (ketoconazole oral) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals February, 2014.
- 8.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 9.Desta Z, Kerbusch T, Soukhova N, Richard E, Ko JW, Flockhart DA. Identification and characterization of human cytochrome P450 isoforms interacting with pimozide. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1998 May;285(2):428-37.
- 10.Phansalkar S, Desai AA, Bell D, Yoshida E, Doole J, Czochanski M, Middleton B, Bates DW. High-priority drug-drug interactions for use in electronic health records. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2012 Sep-Oct; 19(5):735-43.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.