Fluconazole/Selected QT Prolonging Agents Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Fluconazole can affect your heart's rhythm. Other drugs can have the same effect.
What might happen:
Taking fluconazole with other agents that can affect your heart rhythm may increase your risk of irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together and all other medicines you are taking. Let your doctor know right away if you notice and irregular heartbeat or have any dizziness or fainting episodes.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Drew BJ, Ackerman MJ, Funk M, Gibler WB, Kligfield P, Menon V, Philippides GJ, Roden DM, Zareba W. Prevention of torsade de pointes in hospital settings: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010 Mar 2;55(9):934-47.
- 2.Uroxatral (alfuzosin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Synthelabo, Inc. May, 2013.
- 3.Apokyn (apomorphine hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Tercica, Inc. July, 2010.
- 4.Cipro (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Corporation July, 2017.
- 5.Ciproxin (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer plc April 13, 2010.
- 6.Clozaril (clozapine tablets) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation February 23, 2017.
- 7.Anzemet (dolasetron mesylate) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Aventis Us.S. LLC September, 2014.
- 8.Mathivanan M. Dear Canadian Healthcare Professional: Subject: Association of domperidone maleate with serious ventricular arrhythmias and sudden cardiac death. Teva Canada Limited March 2, 2012.
- 9.Foradil Aerolizer (formoterol fumarate) US prescribing information. Schering Corporation September, 2012.
- 10.Symbicort Turbuhaler (budesonide-eformoterol fumarate dihydrate) Australian prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pty Ltd April 30, 2004.
- 11.Primovist (gadoxetate disodium) Australian prescribing information. Schering-Plough Corporation November 1, 2005.
- 12.Primovist (gadoxetic acid) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer plc May 1, 2008.
- 13.Tequin (gatifloxacin) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company January, 2006.
- 14.Factive (gemifloxacin mesylate) US prescribing information. Merus Labs International, Inc. May, 2016.
- 15.Serenace (haloperidol) Australian prescribing information. Sigma Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd. June 5, 2001.
- 16.Dozic (haloperidol) UK summary of product characteristics. Rosemont Pharmaceuticals Limited September 10, 2007.
- 17.Haldol injection (haloperidol) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. December 5, 2017.
- 18.Levaquin (levofloxacin) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. June, 2018.
- 19.NegGram (nalidixic acid) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Synthelabo, Inc. November, 2012.
- 20.Noroxin (norfloxacin) US prescribing information. Merck & Co., Inc. July, 2016.
- 21.Noxafil (posaconazole) UK summary of product characteristics. Schering-Plough Ltd. February 2, 2006.
- 22.Edurant (rilpivirine) US prescribing information. Tibotec Pharmaceuticals February 1, 2018.
- 23.Risperidal (risperidone) UK summary of product characteristics. Janssen-Cilag, UK Limited May 14, 2004.
- 24.Ultane (sevoflurane) US prescribing information. AbbVie, Inc. February, 2014.
- 25.Trisenox (arsenic trioxide) US Prescribing information. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. January 12, 2018.
- 26.Sirturo (bedaquiline) US prescribing information. Janssen Therapeutics May, 2015.
- 27.Zykadia (ceritinib) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation December, 2017.
- 28.Tikosyn (dofetilide) US prescribing information. Pfizer Inc. December, 2013.
- 29.Halaven (eribulin mesylate) US prescribing information. Eisai, Inc. January, 2016.
- 30.Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) US prescribing information. Forest Pharmaceuticals Inc. January, 2017.
- 31.USFood and Drug Administration. FDA Drug Safety Communication: Revised recommendations for Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) related to a potential risk of abnormal heart rhythms with high doses. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm297391.htm March 28, 2012.
- 32.Health Canada. Antidepressant Cipralex (escitalopram): Updated information regarding dose-related heart risk. Available at: http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2012/136 74a-eng.php May 7, 2012.
- 33.Cipralex (escitalopram oxalate) Canadian prescribing information. Lundbeck August 13, 2012.
- 34.Cipralex (escitalopram oxalate) UK summary of product characteristics. Lunbeck Limited September 14, 2012.
- 35.Potiga (ezogabine) US Prescribing Information. Valeant Pharmaceuticals May, 2016.
- 36.Ablavar (gadofosveset trisodium) US prescribing information. Lantheus Medical Imaging, Inc. August, 2013.
- 37.Signifor (pasireotide diasparate) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation December, 2012.
- 38.Istodax (romidepsin) US prescribing information. Celgene Corporation June, 2013.
- 39.Nexavar (sorafenib) US prescribing information. Bayer Pharmaceuticals Corporation November, 2013.
- 40.Betapace (sotalol hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Bayer Healthcare Inc. July, 2012.
- 41.Vibativ (telavancin) US prescribing information. Theravance Biopharma US, Inc. December 3, 2014.
- 42.Zelboraf (vemurafenib) US Prescribing Information. Hoffman-La Roche November, 2017.
- 43.Woosley RL, Romero KA. www.Crediblemeds.org, QTdrugs List, AZCERT, Inc. 1822 Innovation Park Dr., Oro Valley, AZ 85755. November 17, 2015.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.