Quinidine; Quinine/Aluminum and Magnesium Antacids Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Taking quinidine with an antacid may make your kidneys eliminate quinidine more slowly.Taking quinine with an antacid may prevent your body from absorbing quinine.
What might happen:
Your blood level of quinidine may increase and cause toxic effects.Your blood level of quinine may decrease and it may not work as well.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together.If you are taking quinidine and you experience a rash, headache, lightheadedness, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, fast or slow heartbeat, or ringing in the ears, contact your doctor as soon as possible. If you experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach discomfort, or blurred vision that is continuous or bothersome, contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist). Your doctor may want to adjust the dose of your medicine.If you are taking quinine, talk to your healthcare professional about alternatives to your antacid.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Gerhardt RE, Knouss RF, Thyrum PT, Luchi RJ, Morris JJ Jr. Quinidine excretion in aciduria and alkaluria. Ann Intern Med 1969 Nov;71(5):927-33.
- 2.Zinn MB. Quinidine intoxication from alkali ingestion. Tex Med 1970 Dec; 66(12):64-6.
- 3.Gibaldi M, Grundhofer B, Levy G. Effect of antacids on pH of urine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1974 Sep;16(3):520-5.
- 4.Romankiewicz JA, Reidenberg M, Drayer D, Franklin JE Jr. The noninterference of aluminum hydroxide gel with quinidine sulfate absorption: an approach to control quinidine-induced diarrhea. Am Heart J 1978 Oct;96(4):518-20.
- 5.Qualaquin (quinine sulfate) US prescribing information. AR Scientific, Inc. April, 2013.
- 6.Hurwitz A. The effects of antacids on gastrointestinal drug absorption. II. Effect on sulfadiazine and quinine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1971 Dec; 179(3):485-9.