What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Demerol to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: NEONATAL WITHDRAWAL/RESP.DEPRESS. W/CHRONIC OR HIGH DOSE
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: MONITOR FOR SIGNS OF RESPIRATORY DEPRESSION AND INCREASED DROWSINESS
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Renal-Adjust dose for renal impairment due to renally cleared metabolite. Neuro/Psych-Risk for increased confusion, delirium, falls and seizures with accumulation. Avoid treatment with 3 or more CNS active agents.
Giving Demerol to a child under 12
- Contraindication: Increased sensitivity to effects, adverse CNS effects and respiratory depression.
- Severe Precaution: Risk of adverse CNS effects and respiratory depression.