Digoxin/Boceprevir; Ritonavir; Telaprevir Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Boceprevir, ritonavir, and telaprevir may slow down how quickly your body processes digoxin.
What might happen:
Your blood levels of digoxin may increase causing loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, weakness, blurred vision, confusion, and a fast or slow or irregular heartbeat.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Notify your doctor if you are experiencing nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, fast or slow or irregular heartbeat, or vision changes (e.g. blurred vision or yellow/green halos around objects). You may need to have your blood level of digoxin checked, and your dose may need to be adjusted.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Victrelis (boceprevir) US prescribing information. Schering Corporation January, 2017.
- 2.Incivek (telaprevir) US prescribing information. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated October, 2013.
- 3.Lanoxin (digoxin) Tablets US prescribing information. Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. August, 2018.
- 4.Ding R, Tayrouz Y, Riedel KD, Burhenne J, Weiss J, Mikus G, Haefeli WE. Substantial pharmacokinetic interaction between digoxin and ritonavir in healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2004 Jul;76(1):73-84.
- 5.Penzak SR, Shen JM, Alfaro RM, Remaley AT, Natarajan V, Falloon J. Ritonavir decreases the nonrenal clearance of digoxin in healthy volunteers with known MDR1 genotypes. Ther Drug Monit 2004 Jun; 26(3):322-30.
- 6.Garg V, Chandorkar G, Farmer HF, Smith F, Alves K, van Heeswijk RP. Effect of Telaprevir on the Pharmacokinetics of Midazolam and Digoxin. J Clin Pharmacol 2012 Jan 26.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.