What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Lamotrigine to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: AVAILABLE HUMAN DATA SHOW NO INCREASED RISK FOR MAJOR BIRTH DEFECTS.
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: MONITOR INFANT FOR TOXICITY; APNEA, RASH, DROWSINESS, POOR SUCKING REPORTED.
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Use caution in elderly with a history of recurrent falls. Drug may produce ataxia, impaired psychomotor function, syncope, and additional falls. General-Start at the low end of the adult dosage range for elderly.
Giving Lamotrigine to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Increased risk of infection, severe rash, apnea and other respiratory adverse reactions. Not indicated for age < 2 years. Safety and efficacy not demonstrated.
- Severe Precaution: No safety information for extended release dose form. May cause life threatening rash age <16 years. Rare risk of organ failure, aseptic meningitis, hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis.
- management or monitoring precaution: Adhere to dosing guidelines. Rare risk of organ failure, life threatening rash age <16 years. Reports of rare aseptic meningitis, hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis.
- management or monitoring precaution: Monitor for rare risk of life threatening rash, hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, organ failure, infection, aseptic meningitis.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.