This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
The cause of the interaction is not known.
What might happen:
When these two medicines are used together, you may experience kidney damage.
What you should do about this interaction:
Methoxyflurane is only used during surgical procedures. If you are to have either inpatient or outpatient surgery, make sure all of your healthcare professionals are aware of all of the different medicines that you are taking.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Kuzucu EY. Methoxyflurane, tetracycline, and renal failure. JAMA 1970 Feb 16;211(7):1162-4.
- 2.Proctor EA, Barton FL. Polyuric acute renal failure after methoxyflurane and tetracycline. Br Med J 1971 Dec 11;4(788):661-2.
- 3.Albers DD, Leverett CL, Sandin JH. Renal failure following prostatovesiculectomy related to methoxyflurane anesthesia and tetracycline--complicated by Candida infection. J Urol 1971 Sep; 106(3):348-50.
- 4.Cousins MJ, Mazze RI. Tetracycline, methoxyflurane anaesthesia, and renal dysfunction. Lancet 1972 Apr 1;1(7753):751-2.
- 5.Stoelting RK, Gibbs PS. Effect of tetracycline therapy on renal function after methoxyflurane anesthesia. Anesth Analg 1973 May-Jun;52(3):431-6.
- 6.Cousins MJ, Mazze RI. Methoxyflurane nephrotoxicity. A study of dose response in man. JAMA 1973 Sep 24;225(13):1611-6.
- 7.Churchill D, Knaack J, Chirito E, Barre P, Cole C, Muehrcke R, Gault MH. Persisting renal insufficiency after methoxyflurane anesthesia. Report of two cases and review of literature. Am J Med 1974 Apr;56(4):575-82.
- 8.Rosenberg PH, Wahlstrom T. Renal and hepatic toxicity of methoxyflurane in combination with tetracycline or oxytetracycline treatment in rats. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol (Copenh) 1974 Jan;34(1):46-57.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.