Oral Bisphosphonates/Oral Multivalent Cations Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, they may bind to each other in your stomach. This prevents your body from absorbing your bisphosphonate.
What might happen:
The blood levels of your bisphosphonate may be decreased and it may not work as well.
What you should do about this interaction:
You should time when you take your bisphosphonate and products containing aluminum, magnesium, iron, or zinc so that you do not these products:- until at least 30 minutes after taking alendronate- within 2 hours of etidronate- until at least 1 hour after taking ibandronate- until at least 30 minutes after takings risedronate- within 2 hours of tiludronateIf you are not sure which bisphosphonate you are on or if you have questions about the timing of doses of your medicine, contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist). They may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Fosamax (alendronate sodium) US prescribing information. Merck & Co., Inc. November. 2015.
- 2.Didronel (etidronate disodium) US prescribing information. Warner Chilcott (US), LLC April, 2015.
- 3.Boniva (ibandronate sodium) tablets US prescribing information. Roche Therapeutics, Inc. April, 2015.
- 4.Actonel (risedronate sodium) US prescribing information. Warner Chilcott (US), LLC April, 2015.
- 5.Skelid (tiludronate disodium) US prescribing information. Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC March, 2010.
- 6.Loron (disodium clodronate) UK summary of product characteristics. Roche Products Limited October 25, 2006.