Selected Benzodiazepines/Fluvoxamine Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, your body may process your antianxiety (or sleep) medicine more slowly.
What might happen:
The blood levels of your antianxiety (or sleep) medicine may increase and cause toxic effects.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor of pharmacist) about taking these medications together. Your doctor may want to adjust the dosage or change one of your medicines.Contact your doctor if you experience excess drowsiness, confusion, memory problems, or loss of coordination.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Moskowitz H, Burns M. The effects on performance of two antidepressants, alone and in combination with diazepam. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 1988;12(5):783-92.
- 2.Gardner MJ, Baris BA, Wilner KD, Preskorn SH. Effect of sertraline on the pharmacokinetics and protein binding of diazepam in healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacokinet 1997;32 Suppl 1:43-9.
- 3.Luvox (fluvoxamine maleate) US prescribing information. Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc. January, 2017.
- 4.Fleishaker JC, Hulst LK. A pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of the combined administration of alprazolam and fluvoxamine. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1994;46(1):35-9.
- 5.Perucca E, Gatti G, Cipolla G, Spina E, Barel S, Soback S, Gips M, Bialer M. Inhibition of diazepam metabolism by fluvoxamine: a pharmacokinetic study in normal volunteers. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1994 Nov;56(5):471-6.
- 6.Troy SM, Lucki I, Peirgies AA, Parker VD, Klockowski PM, Chiang ST. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of the potential drug interaction between venlafaxine and diazepam. J Clin Pharmacol 1995 Apr; 35(4):410-9.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.