Ibrutinib/Anticoagulants; Antiplatelets Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Both of these medicines can interfere with your body's ability to make blood clots.
What might happen:
You may experience an increased chance for bleeding including bleeding from your gums, nosebleeds, unusual bruising, or dark stools.
What you should do about this interaction:
Ask your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) about taking these medicines together. If your doctor prescribes these medicines together, you may need to have your bleeding times checked more often. If you have any signs of bleeding, such as bleeding from your gums, nosebleeds, unusual bruising, or dark stools, contact your doctor right away.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Imbruvica (ibrutinib) US Prescribing information. Pharmacyclics, Inc. November, 2019.
- 2.Kamel S, Horton L, Ysebaert L, Levade M, Burbury K, Tan S, Cole-Sinclair M, Reynolds J, Filshie R, Schischka S, Khot A, Sandhu S, Keating MJ, Nandurkar H, Tam CS. Ibrutinib inhibits collagen-mediated but not ADP-mediated platelet aggregation. Leukemia 2015 Apr;29(4):783-7.
- 3.Levade M, David E, Garcia C, Laurent PA, Cadot S, Michallet AS, Bordet JC, Tam C, Sie P, Ysebaert L, Payrastre B. Ibrutinib treatment affects collagen and von Willebrand factor-dependent platelet functions. Blood 2014 Dec 18;124(26):3991-5.
- 4.Wang ML, Blum KA, Martin P, Goy A, Auer R, Kahl BS, Jurczak W, Advani RH, Romaguera JE, Williams ME. Long-term follow-up of MCL patients treated with single-agent ibrutinib: updated safety and efficacy results. Blood 2015 Aug 6;126(6):739-45.
- 5.Mock J, Kunk PR, Palkimas S, Sen JM, Devitt M, Horton B, Portell CA, Williams ME, Maitland H. Risk of Major Bleeding with Ibrutinib. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2018 Nov;18(11):755-761.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.