Abiraterone; Prednisone; Prednisolone/Radium Ra 223 Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Severe. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
It is unknown what increases this risk.
What might happen:
You may be at a higher risk for fractures and toxicity when taking radium 223 with abiraterone and prednisone/prednisolone.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together.Your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Mirski D. Dear Healthcare Professional letter: Important safety information update regarding increased incidence of deaths and fractures in an investigational Phase III clinical trial with Xofio used in combination with abiraterone and prednisolone-prednisone. Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals, Inc. November 30, 2017.
- 2.European Medicines Agency. Prostate cancer medicine Xofigo must not be used with Zytiga and prednisone/prednisolone. EMA/146483/2018 March 9, 2018.
- 3.Xofigo (radium Ra 223 dichloride) UK summary of product characteristics. Bayer AG October 17, 2018.
- 4.Xofigo (radium Ra 223 dichloride) US prescribing information. Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. December, 2019.
- 5.Health Canada. Xofigo (radium Ra 223 dichloride) Increased incidence of fractures and trend for increased deaths with Xofigo used in combination with abiraterone and prednisone/prednisolone. Health Canada MedEffect e-Notice November 8, 2018.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.