What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Nyquil Liquid to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: AVAILABLE DATA SUGGEST NO KNOWN RISK; OTC PRODUCT, NO FDA PREGNANCY WARNINGS
- Only When Necessary:
- Only When Necessary: FDA C W/COMBO PROD; POSS RISK OF GASTROSCHISIS/SIA WITH 1ST TRIMESTER EXPOSURE
- FDB Only When Necessary: COMPATIBLE PER BRIGGS;OVERWHELMING HUMAN AND ANIMAL DATA SUGGESTS COMPATIBILITY
If you are NURSING
- No Known Risk: LOW LEVELS EXCRETED WITH LOW RISK FOR ADVERSE EFFECTS IN INFANT
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; MOLECULAR WT LOW ENOUGH FOR POSSIBLE EXCRETION
- Precaution: MAY DECREASE MILK SUPPLY, AND CAUSE IRRITABILITY
- Precaution: LOW MOLEC WT. POSSIBLE EXCRETION; NOT RECOM; MAY CAUSE PARADOXICAL EXCITATION
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular-Elderly are more sensitive to tachycardia and hypertensive effects. May exacerbate symptomatic coronary insufficiency. Genitourinary-May cause urinary retention. Neuro/Psych-May worsen cognitive impairment in some elderly with dementia. Insomnia risk.
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Non-sedating antihistamine preferred. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
- management or monitoring precaution: Hepatic-Elderly are more susceptible to hepatotoxicity. Strict adherence to a maximum daily dose of 3000mg is advised.
Giving Nyquil Liquid to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: Use weight based dosing in children less than 12 years.
- Severe Precaution: CNS and respiratory depression, or excitation. Avoid using with underlying asthma. Consult clinician for use in patient age < 6 years.
- Contraindication: Do not use in pediatrics <6 years of age unless clinician consultation.
- Contraindication: CNS excitation and convulsion risk in newborns. Avoid use with age <2 years.
- Contraindication: High risk of adverse CNS effects. Not recommended for use age < 6 years.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.