What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Butalbital-Acetaminophen to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: AVAILABLE DATA SUGGEST NO KNOWN RISK; OTC PRODUCT, NO FDA PREGNANCY WARNINGS
- Only When Necessary: CASE REPORT OF NEONATAL WITHDRAWAL SEIZURES WITH BUTALBITAL COMBO PRODUCT
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: POSSIBILITY OF CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DEPRESSION IN NURSING INFANT.
- No Known Risk: LOW LEVELS EXCRETED WITH LOW RISK FOR ADVERSE EFFECTS IN INFANT
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: General-Not recommended in the elderly due to sedation which may predispose to falls. May exacerbate depression. Renal-Renal excretion may increase adverse events with renal impairment. Monitor renal function.
- management or monitoring precaution: Hepatic-Elderly are more susceptible to hepatotoxicity. Strict adherence to a maximum daily dose of 3000mg is advised.
Giving Butalbital-Acetaminophen to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: Use weight based dosing in children less than 12 years.
- Severe Precaution: Safety and effectiveness not established age < 12 years.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.