This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Severe. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Both of these medications can cause muscle pain, which may be worse if taken together. Fibrates may stop the body from being able to break down cerivastatin which could increase cerivastatin levels and may lead to muscle pain.
What might happen:
You may experience an increased risk of severe muscle pain, flu-like symptoms, and sudden decrease in the amount of urine.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together. Let your doctor know if you have a history of kidney problems, which may make this interaction worse. Tell your doctor right away if you experience muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness; unexplained tiredness; a change in the amount of urine you make; and/or discolored urine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first
- 1.Baycol (cerivastatin) US prescribing information. Bayer Corporation December, 2000.
- 2.Lopid (gemfibrozil) US prescribing information. Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. November, 2014.
- 3.Ozdemir O, Boran M, Gokce V, Uzun Y, Kocak B, Korkmaz S. A case with severe rhabdomyolysis and renal failure associated with cerivastatin-gemfibrozil combination therapy--a case report. Angiology 2000 Aug;51(8):695-7.
- 4.Pogson GW, Kindred LH, Carper BG. Rhabdomyolysis and renal failure associated with cerivastatin- gemfibrozil combination therapy. Am J Cardiol 1999 Apr 1;83(7):1146.
- 5.Bermingham RP, Whitsitt TB, Smart ML, Nowak DP, Scalley RD. Rhabdomyolysis in a patient receiving the combination of cerivastatin and gemfibrozil. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2000 Mar 1;57(5):461-4.
- 6.Alexandridis G, Pappas GA, Elisaf MS. Rhabdomyolysis due to combination therapy with cerivastatin and gemfibrozil. Am J Med 2000 Aug 15; 109(3):261-2.
- 7.Kind AH, Zakowski LJ, McBride PE. Rhabdomyolysis from the combination of a statin and gemfibrozil: an uncommon but serious adverse reaction. WMJ 2002;101(7):53-6.
- 8.Plotkin E, Bernheim J, Ben-Chetrit S, Mor A, Korzets Z. Influenza vaccine--a possible trigger of rhabdomyolysis induced acute renal failure due to the combined use of cerivastatin and bezafibrate. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2000 May;15(5):740-1.
- 9.Graham DJ, Staffa JA, Shatin D, Andrade SE, Schech SD, La Grenade L, Gurwitz JH, Chan KA, Goodman MJ, Platt R. Incidence of hospitalized rhabdomyolysis in patients treated with lipid-lowering drugs. JAMA 2004 Dec 1;292(21):2585-90.
- 10.Molokhia M, McKeigue P, Curcin V, Majeed A. Statin induced myopathy and myalgia: time trend analysis and comparison of risk associated with statin class from 1991-2006. PLoS One 2008;3(6):e2522.
- 11.Chang JT, Staffa JA, Parks M, Green L. Rhabdomyolysis with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors and gemfibrozil combination therapy. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2004 Jul;13(7):417-26.
- 12.Alsheikh-Ali AA, Kuvin JT, Karas RH. Risk of adverse events with fibrates. Am J Cardiol 2004 Oct 1;94(7):935-8.
- 13.Jones PH, Davidson MH. Reporting rate of rhabdomyolysis with fenofibrate + statin versus gemfibrozil + any statin. Am J Cardiol 2005 Jan 1; 95(1):120-2.
- 14.Corsini A, Bellosta S, Davidson MH. Pharmacokinetic interactions between statins and fibrates. Am J Cardiol 2005 Nov 7;96(9A):44K-49K; discussion 34K-35K.
- 15.Prueksaritanont T, Tang C, Qiu Y, Mu L, Subramanian R, Lin JH. Effects of fibrates on metabolism of statins in human hepatocytes. Drug Metab Dispos 2002 Nov;30(11):1280-7.
- 16.Ballantyne CM, Davidson MH. Possible differences between fibrates in pharmacokinetic interactions with statins. Arch Intern Med 2003 Oct 27; 163(19):2394-5.
- 17.Ginsberg HN, Elam MB, Lovato LC, Crouse JRetal. Effects of combination lipid therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 2010 Apr 29; 362(17):1563-74.