Hydrocodone; Oxycodone/Strong CYP2D6 Inhibitors Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Some medicines may prevent your body from processing hydrocodone or oxycodone.
What might happen:
If you take hydrocodone or oxycodone and either bupropion, fluoxetine, paroxetine, or quinidine together, your pain medicine may not work as well.
What you should do about this interaction:
If you notice less effects from your hydrocodone or oxycodone, contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist). Your doctor may need to change your pain medicine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Apadaz (benzhydrocodone and acetaminophen) US prescribing information. KemPharm, Inc.. February, 2018.
- 2.DePriest AZ, Puet BL, Holt AC, Roberts A, Cone EJ. Metabolism and Disposition of Prescription Opioids: A Review. Forensic Sci Rev 2015 Jul; 27(2):115-45.
- 3.Lurcott G. The effects of the genetic absence and inhibition of CYP2D6 on the metabolism of codeine and its derivatives, hydrocodone and oxycodone. Anesth Prog 1998 Fall;45(4):154-6.
- 4.Monte AA, Heard KJ, Campbell J, Hamamura D, Weinshilboum RM, Vasiliou V. The effect of CYP2D6 drug-drug interactions on hydrocodone effectiveness. Acad Emerg Med 2014 Aug;21(8):879-85.
- 5.Samer CF, Daali Y, Wagner M, Hopfgartner G, Eap CB, Rebsamen MC, Rossier MF, Hochstrasser D, Dayer P, Desmeules JA. The effects of CYP2D6 and CYP3A activities on the pharmacokinetics of immediate release oxycodone. Br J Pharmacol 2010 Jun;160(4):907-18.
- 6.Gronlund J, Saari TI, Hagelberg NM, Neuvonen PJ, Olkkola KT, Laine K. Exposure to oral oxycodone is increased by concomitant inhibition of CYP2D6 and 3A4 pathways, but not by inhibition of CYP2D6 alone. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2010 Jul;70(1):78-87.
- 7.Crews KR, Gaedigk A, Dunnenberger HM, Leeder JS, Klein TE, Caudle KE, Haidar CE, Shen DD, Callaghan JT, Sadhasivam S, Prows CA, Kharasch ED, Skaar TC. Clinical Pharmacogenetics Implementation Consortium guidelines for cytochrome P450 2D6 genotype and codeine therapy: 2014 update. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2014 Apr;95(4):376-82.
- 8.This information is based on or an extract from the UW Metabolism and Transport Drug Interaction Database (DIDB) Platform, Copyright University of Washington 1999-2014..
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.