Selected CYP2D6 Substrates/Terbinafine Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Terbinafine may slow down how quickly your liver processes other medicines. Medicines included in this monograph are: flecainide, fluoxetine, metoprolol, nebivolol, paroxetine, perphenazine, propafenone, and venlafaxine.
What might happen:
The amount of medicine in your blood may increase and cause more side effects than normal.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to change the dose of your other medicine while you are taking terbinafine, or if you stop taking terbinafine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Lamisil (terbinafine hydrochloride) tablet US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation June, 2013.
- 2.US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Drug Development and Drug Interactions: Table of Substrates, Inhibitors and Inducers. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-interactions-labeling/drug-development-and- drug-interactions-table-substrates-inhibitors-and-inducers. Updated 11/14/2017.
- 3.Tambocor (flecainide) US prescribing information. Medicis December, 2011. 4.Yasui-Furukori N, Saito M, Inoue Y, Niioka T, Sato Y, Tsuchimine S, Kaneko S. Terbinafine increases the plasma concentration of paroxetine after a single oral administration of paroxetine in healthy subjects. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2007 Jan;63(1):51-6.
- 4.Hynninen VV, Olkkola KT, Bertilsson L, Kurkinen K, Neuvonen PJ, Laine K. Effect of terbinafine and voriconazole on the pharmacokinetics of the antidepressant venlafaxine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2008 Feb;83(2):342-8.
- 5.Rythmol (propafenone hydrochloride) US prescribing information. Abbott Laboratories March, 2013.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.