What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Prozac to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Only When Necessary: RISK OF PERSISTENT PULM HTN AFTER 20 WKS; NEONATE BEHAVIOR SYNDR 3RD TRIMESTER
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: CAN CAUSE COLIC, IRRITABILITY, FEEDING AND SLEEP DISORDERS, SLOW WEIGHT GAIN
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Hepatic-Accumulation may be greater in the elderly due to long half-life. Start at lower doses and titrate upward more slowly. Endocrine-May exacerbate or cause SIADH or hyponatremia. Monitor sodium level closely when starting or changing dosage. Cardiovascular-Risk of QT prolongation. Caution with underlying cardiac condition, electrolyte abnormalities.
Giving Prozac to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Safety and efficacy not established and not approved age < 7 years. May affect growth rate.
- Severe Precaution: Monitor growth and behavior. Possible aggression, mania, suicidal ideation. Reports of hyperkinesia, agitation, personality disorder.