Selected Quinolones/Enteral Nutrition Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
The enteral nutrition interferes with the absorption of you medicine.
What might happen:
Your medicine might be less effective in treating you illness or infection.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking enteral nutrition before starting your antibiotic..Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Wright DH, Pietz SL, Konstantinides FN, Rotschafer JC. Decreased in vitro fluoroquinolone concentrations after admixture with an enteral feeding formulation. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2000 Jan-Feb;24(1):42-8.
- 2.Mueller BA, Brierton DG, Abel SR, Bowman L. Effect of enteral feeding with ensure on oral bioavailabilities of ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1994 Sep;38(9):2101-5.
- 3.Healy DP, Brodbeck MC, Clendening CE. Ciprofloxacin absorption is impaired in patients given enteral feedings orally and via gastrostomy and jejunostomy tubes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1996 Jan;40(1):6-10.
- 4.Yuk JH, Nightingale CH, Sweeney KR, Quintiliani R, Lettieri JT, Frost RW. Relative bioavailability in healthy volunteers of ciprofloxacin administered through a nasogastric tube with and without enteral feeding. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1989 Jul;33(7):1118-20.
- 5.Kanji S, McKinnon PS, Barletta JF, Kruse JA, Devlin JW. Bioavailability of gatifloxacin by gastric tube administration with and without concomitant enteral feeding in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med 2003 May; 31(5):1347-52.
- 6.Kays MB, Overholser BR, Lagvankar S, Goldman M, Sowinski KM. Effect of ensure on the oral bioavailability of gatifloxacin in healthy volunteers. Pharmacotherapy 2005 Nov;25(11):1530-5.
- 7.Burkhardt O, Stass H, Thuss U, Borner K, Welte T. Effects of enteral feeding on the oral bioavailability of moxifloxacin in healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacokinet 2005;44(9):969-76.
- 8.Lubowski TJ, Nightingale CH, Sweeney K, Quintiliani R. The relative bioavailability of temafloxacin administered through a nasogastric tube with and without enteral feeding. Clin Pharmacokinet 1992;22 Suppl 1:43-7.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.