Entacapone; Tolcapone/Selected MAOIs Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Severe. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, your body may not be able to process certain body chemicals (e.g. epinephrine) properly.
What might happen:
You may experience a faster heart rate and/or an increase in blood pressure.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together. They may already be aware of this drug interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Comtess (entacapone) UK summary of product characteristics. Orion Pharma, UK September 16, 1998.
- 2.Tasmar (tolcapone) US prescribing information. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International May, 2013.
- 3.Comtan (entacapone) US prescribing information. Orion Corporation June, 2014.
- 4.Comtan (entacapone) Canadian prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. March, 2006.
- 5.Tasmar (tolcapone) UK summary of product characteristics. Valeant Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Januar 11, 2006.
- 6.Eldepryl (selegiline) US prescribing information. Somerset Pharmaceuticals February, 1997.
- 7.Emsam (selegiline) US prescribing information. Somerset August, 2007. 8.Ramsay RR, Dunford C, Gillman PK. Methylene blue and serotonin toxicity: inhibition of monoamine oxidase A (MAO A) confirms a theoretical prediction. Br J Pharmacol 2007 Nov;152(6):946-51.
- 8.Peter C, Hongwan D, Kupfer A, Lauterburg BH. Pharmacokinetics and organ distribution of intravenous and oral methylene blue. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2000 Jun;56(3):247-50.