HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibitors/Selected Fibrates Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
The cause of the interaction is not known.
What might happen:
You may experience an increased risk of severe muscle pain, flu-like symptoms, and sudden decrease in the amount of urine.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together. This interaction may be worse if you currently have any type of kidney problem.You healthcare professionals may already be aware of this drug interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Goldman JA, Fishman AB, Lee JE, Johnson RJ. The role of cholesterol-lowering agents in drug-induced rhabdomyolysis and polymyositis. Arthritis Rheum 1989 Mar;32(3):358-9.
- 2.Mevacor (lovastatin) US prescribing information. Merck & Co., Inc. February, 2014.
- 3.McDonald KB, Garber BG, Perreault MM. Pancreatitis associated with simvastatin plus fenofibrate. Ann Pharmacother 2002 Feb;36(2):275-9.
- 4.Kind AH, Zakowski LJ, McBride PE. Rhabdomyolysis from the combination of a statin and gemfibrozil: an uncommon but serious adverse reaction. WMJ 2002;101(7):53-6.
- 5.Crestor (rosuvastatin calcium) US prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP September, 2018.
- 6.Pravachol (pravastatin sodium) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company July, 2016.
- 7.Zocor (simvastatin) US prescribing information. Merck & Co., Inc. October, 2019.
- 8.Vytorin (ezetimibe/simvastatin) US prescribing information. Merck/Schering-Plough Pharmaceuticals April, 2019.
- 9.VHA Pharmacy Benefits Management-Strategic Healthcare Group and The Medical Advisory Panel. STATIN-FIBRATE REPORT: Focus on Safety. available at: http://www.pbm.va.gov/PBM/clinicalguidance/clinicalrecommendations/statinf ibratesafetyreportFinal.doc September, 2004.
- 10.Jones PH, Davidson MH. Reporting rate of rhabdomyolysis with fenofibrate + statin versus gemfibrozil + any statin. Am J Cardiol 2005 Jan 1; 95(1):120-2.
- 11.Gustavson LE, Schweitzer SM, Koehne-Voss S, Achari R, Chira TO, Esslinger HU, Yannicelli HD. The effects of multiple doses of fenofibrate on the pharmacokinetics of pravastatin and its 3alpha-hydroxy isomeric metabolite. J Clin Pharmacol 2005 Aug;45(8):947-53.
- 12.Ireland JH, Eggert CH, Arendt CJ, Williams AW. Rhabdomyolysis with cardiac involvement and acute renal failure in a patient taking rosuvastatin and fenofibrate. Ann Intern Med 2005 Jun 7;142(11):949-50.
- 13.Jacob SS, Jacob S, Williams C, Deeg MA. Simvastatin, fenofibrate, and rhabdomyolysis. Diabetes Care 2005 May;28(5):1258.
- 14.Alsheikh-Ali AA, Kuvin JT, Karas RH. Risk of adverse events with fibrates. Am J Cardiol 2004 Oct 1;94(7):935-8.
- 15.Bergman AJ, Murphy G, Burke J, Zhao JJ, Valesky R, Liu L, Lasseter KC, He W, Prueksaritanont T, Qiu Y, Hartford A, Vega JM, Paolini JF. Simvastatin does not have a clinically significant pharmacokinetic interaction with fenofibrate in humans. J Clin Pharmacol 2004 Sep;44(9):1054-62.
- 16.Martin PD, Dane AL, Schneck DW, Warwick MJ. An open-label, randomized, three-way crossover trial of the effects of coadministration of rosuvastatin and fenofibrate on the pharmacokinetic properties of rosuvastatin and fenofibric acid in healthy male volunteers. Clin Ther 2003 Feb;25(2):459-71.
- 17.Wierzbicki AS, Lumb PJ, Cheung J, Crook MA. Fenofibrate plus simvastatin therapy versus simvastatin plus cholestyramine therapy for familial hypercholesterolaemia. QJM 1997 Oct;90(10):631-4.
- 18.Livalo (pitavastatin) US prescribing information. Kowa Pharmaceuticals America, Inc. May, 2019.
- 19.Ginsberg HN, Elam MB, Lovato LC, Crouse JRetal. Effects of combination lipid therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 2010 Apr 29; 362(17):1563-74.
- 20.Zocor (simvastatin) Canadian prescribing information. Merck Canada Inc. May 24, 2019.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.