Rosuvastatin (<= 10 mg)/Atazanavir; Lopinavir; Simeprevir Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Atazanavir and lopinavir may slow down how quickly your liver processes rosuvastatin. Simeprevir may increase the amount of rosuvastatin your body absorbs.
What might happen:
The amount of rosuvastatin in your blood may increase and cause harmful effects.
What you should do about this interaction:
Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Let your doctor know if you have any unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, weakness, or discoloration of your urine. Your doctor may want to change your cholesterol medicine.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Olysio (simeprevir) US prescribing information. Janssen Products, LP November, 2017.
- 2.Crestor (rosuvastatin calcium) US prescribing information. AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP September, 2018.
- 3.Reyataz (atazanavir sulfate) US prescribing information. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company March, 2018.
- 4.Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir tablets) US prescribing information. Abbott Laboratories August, 2019.
- 5.Busti AJ, Bain AM, Hall RG 2nd, Bedimo RG, Leff RD, Meek C, Mehvar R. Effects of atazanavir/ritonavir or fosamprenavir/ritonavir on the pharmacokinetics of rosuvastatin. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2008 Jun; 51(6):605-10.
- 6.Kiser JJ, Gerber JG, Predhomme JA, Wolfe P, Flynn DM, Hoody DW. Drug/Drug Interaction Between Lopinavir/Ritonavir and Rosuvastatin in Healthy Volunteers. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2008 Apr 15;47(5):570-578.
- 7.van der Lee M, Sankatsing R, Schippers E, Vogel M, Fatkenheuer G, van der Ven A, Kroon F, Rockstroh J, Wyen C, Baumer A, de Groot E, Koopmans P, Stroes E, Reiss P, Burger D. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of combined use of lopinavir/ritonavir and rosuvastatin in HIV-infected patients. Antivir Ther 2007;12(7):1127-32.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.