Oral Iron Supplements/Antacids Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Some antacids may bind to your iron supplement, preventing it from being absorbed.
What might happen:
The amount of iron you absorb from your supplement may decrease.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Do not take your iron supplement within 1 hour before or 2 hours after your antacid. Your doctor may want to check your iron levels to see if your supplement is working.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Ferrous gluconate US prescribing information. GFR Nutritionals Ltd September 29, 2003.
- 2.Wallace KL, Curry SC, LoVecchio F, Raschke RA. Effect of magnesium hydroxide on iron absorption following simulated mild iron overdose in human subjects. Acad Emerg Med 1998 Oct;5(10):961-5.
- 3.O'Neil-Cutting MA, Crosby WH. The effect of antacids on the absorption of simultaneously ingested iron. JAMA 1986 Mar 21;255(11):1468-70.
- 4.Snyder BK, Clark RF. Effect of magnesium hydroxide administration on iron absorption after a supratherapeutic dose of ferrous sulfate in human volunteers: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Emerg Med 1999 Apr; 33(4):400-5.
- 5.Phansalkar S, van der Sijs H, Tucker AD, Desai AA, Bell DS, Teich JM, Middleton B, Bates DW. Drug-drug interactions that should be non-interruptive in order to reduce alert fatigue in electronic health records. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2012 Sep 25.
- 6.Hall GJ, Davis AE. Inhibition of iron absorption by magnesium trisilicate. Med J Aust 1969 Jul 12;2(2):95-6.