Selected Cephalosporins/Antacids; H2 Antagonists;PPIs Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
H2 blockers and proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) change the pH (acidity) of your GI tract and may decrease the amount of your antibiotic that gets into your bloodstream.
What might happen:
Your antibiotic may not work as well.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together.If you need to continue your H2 blocker or proton pump inhibitor while you are taking your antibiotic for your infection, be sure to take each dose of antibiotic after eating. A meal helps to increase the amount of antibiotic that gets into your bloodstream. Wait 1-2 hours after taking antacids before taking your cefpodoxime or cefuroxime. If you have any questions concerning the timing of your medicines, consult your pharmacist.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Vantin (cefpodoxime proxetil) US prescribing information. Pharmacia & Upjohn Company April, 2007.
- 2.Ceftin (cefuroxime axetil) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline January, 2010.
- 3.Saathoff N, Lode H, Neider K, Depperman KM, Borner K, Koeppe P. Pharmacokinetics of cefpodoxime proxetil and interactions with an antacid and an H2 receptor antagonist. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1992 Apr; 36(4):796-800.
- 4.Hughes GS, Heald DL, Barker KB, Patel RK, Spillers CR, Watts KC, Batts DH, Euler AR. The effects of gastric pH and food on the pharmacokinetics of a new oral cephalosporin, cefpodoxime proxetil. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1989 Dec;46(6):674-85.
- 5.Sommers DK, van Wyk M, Moncrieff J, Schoeman HS. Influence of food and reduced gastric acidity on the bioavailability of bacampicillin and cefuroxime axetil. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1984 Oct;18(4):535-9.