Estrogens/Grapefruit Juice Interaction Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug, changing your diet or commencing any course of treatment.
Important. Possible changes in your diet, medicine, or dosage should be discussed with your doctor or pharmacist.
How the interaction occurs:
Grapefruit juice decreases the ability of the gut to process estrogens.
What might happen:
The level of this drug can increase in your blood. This can lead to spotting or bleeding, nausea, vomiting and breast tenderness.
What you should do about this interaction:
It is best to avoid grapefruit or grapefruit juice while on this medication.Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you experience nausea, vomiting, spotting or bleeding, and breast tenderness.Contact your healthcare professional (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) for more information.Your healthcare professionals may be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change your medicine or diet before checking with them first.
- 1.Guengerich FP. Oxidation of 17 alpha-ethynylestradiol by human liver cytochrome P-450. Mol Pharmacol 1988 May;33(5):500-8.
- 2.Ball SE, Forrester LM, Wolf CR, Back DJ. Differences in the cytochrome P-450 isoenzymes involved in the 2-hydroxylation of oestradiol and 17 alpha-ethinyloestradiol. Relative activities of rat and human liver enzymes. Biochem J 1990 Apr 1;267(1):221-6.
- 3.Miniscalco A, Lundahl J, Regardh CG, Edgar B, Eriksson UG. Inhibition of dihydropyridine metabolism in rat and human liver microsomes by flavonoids found in grapefruit juice. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1992 Jun;261(3):1195-9.
- 4.Schubert W, Cullberg G, Edgar B, Hedner T. Inhibition of 17 beta-estradiol metabolism by grapefruit juice in ovariectomized women. Maturitas 1994 Dec;20(2-3):155-63.
- 5.Schubert W, Eriksson U, Edgar B, Cullberg G, Hedner T. Flavonoids in grapefruit juice inhibit the in vitro hepatic metabolism of 17 beta-estradiol. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 1995 Jul-Sep;20(3):219-24.
- 6.Fingerova H, Oborna I, Petrova P, Budikova M, Jezdinsky J. Does grapefruit juice increase the bioavailability of orally administered sex steroids?. Ceska Gynekol 2003 Mar;68(2):117-21.
- 7.Premarin (conjugated estrogen tablets, USP) US prescribing information. Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc. October, 2011.