Selected Benzodiazepines/Fluoxetine; Nefazodone Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, your body may process your antianxiety (or sleep) medicine more slowly.
What might happen:
The blood levels of your antianxiety (or sleep) medicine may increase and cause toxic effects.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor of pharmacist) about taking these medications together. Your doctor may want to adjust the dosage or change one of your medicines.Contact your doctor if you experience excess drowsiness, confusion, memory problems, or loss of coordination.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Lemberger L, Rowe H, Bosomworth JC, Tenbarge JB, Bergstrom RF. The effect of fluoxetine on the pharmacokinetics and psychomotor responses of diazepam. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1988 Apr;43(4):412-9.
- 2.Moskowitz H, Burns M. The effects on performance of two antidepressants, alone and in combination with diazepam. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 1988;12(5):783-92.
- 3.Gardner MJ, Baris BA, Wilner KD, Preskorn SH. Effect of sertraline on the pharmacokinetics and protein binding of diazepam in healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacokinet 1997;32 Suppl 1:43-9.
- 4.Troy SM, Lucki I, Peirgies AA, Parker VD, Klockowski PM, Chiang ST. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of the potential drug interaction between venlafaxine and diazepam. J Clin Pharmacol 1995 Apr; 35(4):410-9.
- 5.Nolting A, Abramowitz W. Lack of interaction between citalopram and the CYP3A4 substrate triazolam. Pharmacotherapy 2000 Jul;20(7):750-5.
- 6.Barbhaiya RH, Shukla UA, Kroboth PD, Greene DS. Coadministration of nefazodone and benzodiazepines: II. A pharmacokinetic interaction study with triazolam. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1995 Oct;15(5):320-6.
- 7.Kroboth PD, Folan MM, Lush RM, Chaikin PC, Shukla UA, Barbhaiya R, Salazar DE. Coadministration of nefazodone and benzodiazepines: I. Pharmacodynamic assessment. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1995 Oct;15(5):306-19.
- 8.Greene DS, Salazar DE, Dockens RC, Kroboth P, Barbhaiya RH. Coadministration of nefazodone and benzodiazepines: IV. A pharmacokinetic interaction study with lorazepam. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1995 Dec; 15(6):409-16.
- 9.Greene DS, Salazar DE, Dockens RC, Kroboth P, Barbhaiya RH. Coadministration of nefazodone and benzodiazepines: III. A pharmacokinetic interaction study with alprazolam. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1995 Dec; 15(6):399-408.
- 10.Nefazodone Hydrochloride US prescribing information. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc. June, 2014.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.