Bosentan; Sitaxsentan/Cyclosporine Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Severe. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects and are usually not taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Bosentan may speed up how quickly your body processes cyclosporine. Cyclosporine may slow down how quickly your body processes bosentan and sitaxsentan.
What might happen:
If you take cyclosporine and bosentan together, the amount of cyclosporine in your blood may decrease and it may not work as well at preventing your body from rejecting your transplanted organ. The amount of bosentan in your blood may increase and cause side effects such as severe headache, nausea, vomiting, and liver problems.If you take cyclosporine and sitaxsentan together, the amount of sitaxsentan in your blood may increase and cause side effects such as severe headache, nausea, vomiting, and liver problems.
What you should do about this interaction:
Tell your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to change the medicines you are taking or their dosages. Your doctor may want to check the amount of cyclosporine in your blood and run some tests to see if your transplanted organ is working correctly. If you are having any headaches, nausea, vomiting, fever, unusual tiredness, abdominal pain, or yellowing of the skin or whites of your eyes, contact your doctor.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Tracleer (bosentan) US prescribing information. Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc. September 5, 2017.
- 2.Thelin (sitaxentan sodium) UK summary of product characteristics. Encysive (UK) Limited August 10, 2006.
- 3.Gehshan A. Dear Canadian Healthcare Professional letter: Subject: Saftey information regarding Thelin (sitaxsentan sodium) and the ocurrence of liver toxicity, risks to the fetus, and important drug-drug interactions. Encysive Pharmaceuticals July 9, 2007.
- 4.Sandimmune (cyclosporine) US prescribing information. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation March, 2015.
- 5.Binet I, Wallnofer A, Weber C, Jones R, Thiel G. Renal hemodynamics and pharmacokinetics of bosentan with and without cyclosporine A. Kidney Int 2000 Jan;57(1):224-31.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.