This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
Spironolactone may decrease the ability of your kidneys to remove digoxin from your body. It may also interfere with some laboratory tests that measure the amount of digoxin in your blood.
What might happen:
The effects of your digoxin may increase and cause a slow or irregular heartbeat.
What you should do about this interaction:
If you experience a slow or irregular heartbeat, contact your doctor. The dose of your medicine may need adjusting. You may be more likely to experience effects from this interaction if you have liver problems or are elderly. If your doctor orders a blood test to check the amount of digoxin in your blood, remind your doctor and the laboratory that you are taking spironolactone.Your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Steiness E. Renal tubular secretion of digoxin. Circulation 1974 Jul; 50(1):103-7.
- 2.Waldorff S, Andersen JD, Heeboll-Nielsen N, Nielsen OG, Moltke E, Sorensen U, Steiness E. Spironolactone-induced changes in digoxin kinetics. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1978 Aug;24(2):162-7.
- 3.Paladino JA, Davidson KH, McCall BB. Influence of spironolactone on serum digoxin concentration. JAMA 1984 Jan 27;251(4):470-1.
- 4.Fenster PE, Hager WD, Goodman MM. Digoxin-quinidine-spironolactone interaction. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1984 Jul;36(1):70-3.
- 5.Waldorff S, Hansen PB, Egeblad H, Berning J, Buch J, Kjaergard H, Steiness E. Interactions between digoxin and potassium-sparing diuretics. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1983 Apr;33(4):418-23.
- 6.Waldorff S, Berning J, Buch J, Steiness E. Systolic time intervals during spironolactone treatment of digitalized and non-digitalized patients with ischaemic heart disease. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1982;21(4):269-73.
- 7.Finnegan TP, Spence JD, Cape RD. Potassium-sparing diuretics: interaction with digoxin in elderly men. J Am Geriatr Soc 1984 Feb;32(2):129-31.
- 8.Lanoxin (digoxin) Tablets US prescribing information. Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. August, 2018.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.