Dabigatran/Lovastatin; Simvastatin Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, your body may not process dabigatran properly.
What might happen:
Your blood levels of dabigatran may increase. This may cause serious bleeding.
What you should do about this interaction:
Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to change your blood thinner or change your cholesterol medicine. Let your healthcare professional know if the side effects of your medicine increase or if you have any bleeding from the eyes, gums or nose; unusual bruising; dark stools; red or dark brown urine; and/or abdominal pain or swelling.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop or change the dosage of any medication before checking with them first.
- 1.Pradaxa (dabigatran etexilate mesylate) US prescribing information. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. January, 2020.
- 2.Pradax (dabigatran etexilate mesilate) Canadian prescribing information. Boehringer Ingelheim March, 23 2020.
- 3.Pradaxa (dabigatran etexilate mesilate) UK summary of product characteristics. Boehringer Ingelheim Limited January 10, 2020.
- 4.Anonymous. FDA Dabigatran background package for Cardio-Renal Advisory Committee. available at https://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20170405212218/https://www.fda.gov/down loads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/Cardiovascularan dRenalDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM247244.pdf September 20, 2010.
- 5.Antoniou T, Macdonald EM, Yao Z, Hollands S, Gomes T, Tadrous M, Mamdani M, Juurlink DN. Association between statin use and ischemic stroke or major hemorrhage in patients taking dabigatran for atrial fibrillation. CMAJ 2016 Nov 21.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.