What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Cold And Cough Capsule to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Only When Necessary:
- Only When Necessary: EVIDENCE FOR MALFORMATIONS; CAN REDUCE UTERINE BLOOD FLOW CAUSING FETAL HYPOXIA
- Only When Necessary: BROMPHENIRAMINE TANNATE FDA CATEGORY C, BROMPHENIRAMINE MALEATE CATEGORY B.
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; MOLECULAR WT LOW ENOUGH FOR POSSIBLE EXCRETION
- Precaution: ORAL BIOAVAILABILITY LOW; INFANT EXPOSURE MAY BE MINIMAL
- Precaution: NOT RECOMMENDED. MAY CAUSE PARADOXICAL EXCITATION/INHIBIT LACTATION.
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular-Elderly are more sensitive to tachycardia and hypertensive effects. May exacerbate symptomatic coronary insufficiency. Genitourinary-May cause urinary retention. Neuro/Psych-May worsen cognitive impairment in some elderly with dementia. Insomnia risk.
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Non-sedating agents preferred. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
Giving Cold And Cough Capsule to a child under 12
- Contraindication: Do not use in pediatrics <6 years of age unless clinician consultation. Avoid using with underlying asthma.
- Contraindication: Do not use in pediatrics <6 years of age unless clinician consultation.
- Contraindication: Risk of CNS excitation. Do not use age <6 years without clinician consult.
- Contraindication: Possible CNS excitation, convulsions in newborns.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.