What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Advil Multi-Symptom Cold Tablet to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; NEONATE RISK OF SEIZURES;AVOID DURING 3RD TRIMESTER
- Only When Necessary: FDA C W/COMBO PROD; POSS RISK OF GASTROSCHISIS/SIA WITH 1ST TRIMESTER EXPOSURE
- FDB Contraindicated or Not Recommended: PREMATURE CLOSURE OF DUCTUS ARTERIOSUS, AVOID DURING 3RD TRIMESTER
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: MAY DECREASE MILK SUPPLY, AND CAUSE IRRITABILITY
- No Known Risk: LOW LEVELS IN BREAST MILK, WITH NO KNOWN RESULTING ADVERSE EFFECT ON INFANT
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; MAY CAUSE SEDATION AND INHIBIT LACTATION
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular-Elderly are more sensitive to tachycardia and hypertensive effects. May exacerbate symptomatic coronary insufficiency. Genitourinary-May cause urinary retention. Neuro/Psych-May worsen cognitive impairment in some elderly with dementia. Insomnia risk.
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Anticholinergic effects may cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Non-sedating antihistamine preferred. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Genitourinary-Best avoided in patients with urinary retention from any cause.
- management or monitoring precaution: Gastrointestinal-Risk for ulceration or serious GI bleed; highest with history of PUD or GI bleed. Renal-Risk for exacerbation of CKD. Cardiovascular-May exacerbate pre-existing hypertension or CHF. Risk of cardiovascular thrombotic events, including MI and stroke. This risk may occur early in treatment and increases with duration of use. Risk for reinfarction with minimal NSAID use post-MI. Contraindicated with CABG. Hepatic-Elevated hepatic transaminases may occur with chronic use.
Giving Advil Multi-Symptom Cold Tablet to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Not recommended in children under 6 years unless clinician consultation.
- Contraindication: Possible paradoxical CNS excitation. Seizure risk in newborns.
- Contraindication: High risk of adverse CNS effects. Not recommended for use age < 6 years.
- management or monitoring precaution: Safety and efficacy for children less than 6 months not established.