What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering PIOGLITAZONE-METFORMIN to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- Not Recommended:
- Not Recommended:
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: NO KNOWN INFANT ADVERSE OUTCOMES; MFR ADVISES CAUTION
- Precaution: INSUFFICIENT DATA AVAILABLE; ALTERNATIVE AGENTS MAY BE PREFERRED
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Renal-Increased risk for drug induced metabolic acidosis with increasing age and declining renal function. Metformin is contraindicated in patients with an eGFR below 30 mL/min. Cardiovascular-Heart failure patients may have a higher risk for metabolic acidosis.
- management or monitoring precaution: Cardiovascular-Box warning states the drug may cause or exacerbate CHF. Contraindicated in patients with NYHA Class III or IV heart failure. Monitor for weight gain, peripheral edema and new onset dyspnea. Hepatic-Monitor for elevations of serum transaminases. Musculoskeletal-Consider increased fracture risk.
Giving Haloperidol to a child under 12
- Severe Precaution: Possible risks include fracture, fluid retention and heart failure, bladder tumor. Not recommended.
- Severe Precaution: Safety and efficacy in pediatrics age < 10 years not established.
Free RX Coupon
Save up to 80% on your prescriptions.
Save up to 80% on your prescription with WebMDRx
You Might Also Like
Are you currently using pioglitazone-metformin?
This survey is being conducted by the WebMD marketing sciences department.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.