Boceprevir; Ritonavir; Telaprevir/Alprazolam Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, your body may not process your alprazolam properly.
What might happen:
The blood levels of alprazolam may increase. This may cause toxic effects such as drowsiness, slurred speech, incoordination, or difficulty breathing.
What you should do about this interaction:
Contact your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) as soon as possible about taking these two medicines together. They may already be aware of this drug interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Victrelis (boceprevir) US prescribing information. Schering Corporation January, 2017.
- 2.Frye R, Bertz R, Granneman GR, Qian J, Lamm J, Dennis S, Valdes J. Effect of ritonavir on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of alprazolam. 37th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), Toronto, Canada 1997;37:12.
- 3.Greenblatt DJ, von Moltke LL, Harmatz JS, Durol AL, Daily JP, Graf JA, Mertzanis P, Hoffman JL, Shader RI. Alprazolam-ritonavir interaction: implications for product labeling. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2000 Apr; 67(4):335-41.
- 4.Norvir (ritonavir) US prescribing information. Abbott Laboratories November, 2018.
- 5.Incivek (telaprevir) US prescribing information. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated October, 2013.