I take Metformin and my blood sugars were running about 150 to 165. I could not seem to get it lowered. My doctor gave me Glipizide 5 mg. Told me to take 1/2 a pill either in the morning or at night. I take it before bedtime and it has dramatically lowered my blood sugar.

want to know why I am taking glip with insulin injections (7units)None of the web sites address this, shame on you all

Orman | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/1/2022
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Seem ok on first go then didn’t seem to work any better than control of diet

doris | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/1/2021
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

I was taking Metformin for 7 months, and it was not controlling my blood sugar effectively. Plus the side effects were almost debilitating - severe constant diarrhea and weight loss. I discussed with my doctor, and she took me off Metformin and prescribed Glipizide. I've been taking 5 mg 2xday for a week now, and my glucose levels are testing higher than 200 for 6 days in a row. It even peaked above 300 twice. I have informed my doctor and am awaiting her advice. I don't think this will improve with time. Plus I am continuing to lose weight, which I don't have to lose.Read More Read Less

Anonymous | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
10/12/2021
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Kept giving me yeast infections so I had to stop taking it.

Erick_PDX | 45-54 | Male | Patient
5/14/2020
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Works great as a combo with metformin but I cannot seem to stop gaining weight. I will be glad when I can go back to the doctor's office to discuss results.

doggette2 | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
1/28/2020
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Taking with Atenolol,having hypoglycemia attacks.Also medicine will spike my blood sugar levels. Not taking this anymore.

tiggerooh | 75 or over | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/31/2018
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

I was taking metformin for 10 years. A current blood test showed above average creatin levels so I was put on glipizide temporarily .Thusfar there have been no problems or side effects.

Clay | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
12/12/2017
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 1.5 months ago. My A1C was 15.8, Urine Glucose over 500 (test max) and my first home blood glucose test was 577. My doctor had me start with one 500mg ER tablet a day for the first week, then two a day since then. I also was prescribed a 5mg tablet of glipizide a day. My Blood Glucose has been in the 85-150 range the past month. I have modified my diet some. I did experience some diarrhea, though am over it now.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/19/2017
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

This has lowered my blood glucose but I'm on a 1,500 calorie a day diet and have gained 20 pounds in only a few weeks.

Sue | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/23/2017

Causes excessive weight gain

Anonymous | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/12/2017
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 30. I was on metformin 1000mg once a day which wasn't working. Numbers were still in the low 300's. Dr bumped me to 1000mg twice a day. Made me very sick to the point of calling into work for extreme diarrhea. Stopped taking it and contacted my Dr. He put me on 5mg twice a day. While it has helped my numbers, they vary constantly and aren't where they should be. Anyone have any advice for me? I am on a 1200 calorie, low-carb diet. Please help. I am too young to suffer like this.Read More Read Less

serialmom12 | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
11/25/2016

I've been on this for about a year now for controlling pre-diabetes. I've had no side effects from this drug.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
7/12/2016
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

This has not worked for me, while it brought down my levels some it did not lower them to were they need to be.

Sheckej | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/20/2016
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Causes blood sugar crashes too frequently, makes me feel very skeptical on taking it. the crash comes on rapidly, break out in cool sweat, dizziness, shaking/trembling; have to very quickly take something with sugar and rest for 15-20 minutes fo it to subside.

Steve7910 | 45-54 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/2/2016
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

My Dr. switched me to to Glipizide after my insurance stopped covering my Glyburide (that I took for more than 15 years and worked great), this doesn't work for me at all, if I wasn't taking Metformin also my sugars would be in the 400's, I know because when I saw how bad my numbers were after the switch I stopped the metformin for a week to see if the Glipizide did anything,it didn't seem to.So now we are trying to find something that will work that insurance will cover.

boiidruid | 75 or over | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
12/14/2015
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

It keeps my blood sugar under control, but it causes excessive weight gain!!!

NoGlipForMe | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/3/2015
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes over 10years ago. Earlier this year, my sugars were not under control, and the doctor put me on Glipizide 10mg (Watson 461). This brought my glucose levels back down. I then moved, and the new pharmacy gave my Glipizide 10mg (APO). After starting this medication, I woke up in the middle of the night with excruciating shoulder pain. The pain seemed to originate in the shoulder joint and radiated down into my fingers. I originally thought it was my exercise regimen, but realized this could not be as I have been exercising the same way for about 3 years. I then realized that I experienced the same pain when a former doctor prescribed the same form of Glipizide about 8 years ago. I had forgotten about this...but immediately stopped using the Glipizide. Now, after about a month, the pain has almost subsided completely. I also experienced numbness and swelling in my index finger (same side as the shoulder pain). That too is almost gone. I am concerned that neither the doctor nor the pharmacist told me about this side effect; it could have saved me a lot of painful nights.Read More Read Less

Type2Diabetic | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/31/2015
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Just over a month ago, I developed extreme, excruciating pain in my left shoulder. This pain kept me awake at night. I also started feeling a numbness in my arm and swelling and numbness in my left index finger. I originally thought it was my exercise regimen, but I've been doing the same exercise for over 3 years. I realized that the onset of the pain occurred when I switched to the APO manufactured Glipizide (10mg). I stopped using the Glipizide, and after a month, the pain is almost gone, as is the swelling and numbness in my finger.Read More Read Less

dieyoung1 | 45-54 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
6/27/2015
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

This drug has not allowed me to get my blood sugar under control. I need to try a new medication.

dayle926 | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
5/8/2015
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Even wth a reduction from 10 to 5mg, I am still experiencing hypoglycemia within 4 hours of taking the pill, whether I've eaten a large meal or a snack. I feel that I really don't need it if my alc is less than 7 but i can't convince my doctor. I will ask doctor to discontinue for 3 months and see if my alc is still below 7, and then just continue monitoring it.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/31/2014
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Had great results with blood sugar levels. Unfortunately realized I can't take it due to allergic reaction.