I had severe headaches that would last 24/7 for weeks at a time. I was at the end of my rope. The only way I could stop the pain was to go to the hosiptal and get a Compazine i.v. I'd go home and sleep it off and a day later the headache would come back. If I weren't a mother I would have considered ending it. Absolutely nothing else worked. When I started taking this drug I had very strange d...

This medication is poison. I suffered from insomnia, fear and depression. Coming off was 10 days of misery. Don’t take it!!!!

Never Again | 35-44 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/30/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I am always deathly afraid of big pharma products like this and this one just added to my fear. I was only prescribed 10 mg a day for occipital nerve pain and two doses in was enough to make me lose my mind, just two doses. I can echo much of the side effects mentioned by the other horror stories here, including jacked up thinking, more depressed, insanely anxious, sleepy beyond any normal reason, and an overall lack of clarity in my mind, to the point where you question reality. I repeat tread very very lightly with drugs like this, if you have other options that are not drugs, by all means stay the heck away from this drug. Pharma does not cure anything, and with this drug, and many others, the side effects are far worse than my symptoms. This is poison. Read More Read Less

Gracie | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
6/25/2022
Condition: Depression

I have a history of hard to treat depression, ADD, chronic fatigue and insomnia. I had an accident that caused nerve damage to my neck and was in a lot of pain that otc meds or gabapenten wouldn’t help. My dr started me on nortriptoline and within 3 days I had pain relief. Mood was still the same. But after 3 weeks on nortriptoline my depression and pain was completely gone! I was sleeping like a baby, I woke up ready for the day, joined a gym, I was happy, pain free, had energy. It was truly a God send. My only side effects was weight gain and constipation. After 2 years on it I decided to quit taking it because despite exercise and eating healthy, I couldn’t lose a pound. I only had bowel movements once a week. I didn’t have any side effects coming off of the medication. I tapered myself. I’ve been off of nortriptoline for over a year now. My pain is manageable. I’ve lost the weight I gained. But the depression is kicking my butt despite trying all sorts of natural antidepressants (SAM-e, St. John’s wort, etc) So I’m actually thinking of going back on nortriptoline. I’ve never felt as good as I did on it. Its almost worth the weight gain to be happy, have energy and sleep normal. Anyone who’s scared to try nortriptoline, don’t let some of the reviews scare you. It may not work for everyone, but for some people it’s a miracle! Read More Read Less

Gracie | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
6/25/2022
Condition: Depression

Excellent for pain and depression

njd1969 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/17/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I have horrible dry mouth and constipation from the medicine. I've been taking 50 mg per day for a month and just this week I've started have hallucinations. My neurologist is lowering my dosage to 10mg per day. Hopefully this will work because the next step is injections in my head to put the nerve to sleep. I also have been dealing with RA for the last 25 years.

AB | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/20/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I experience severe post-operative abdominal pain (probably neuropathic). It took a while to find Nortriptyline, I stared at 10mg, then 20mg, currently taking 25mg, and will trial 35/37.5mg in the next month. My pain relief is not complete, I still have to be very mindful of movement because of breakthrough pain at 25mg. I missed a dose the other week and the pain that crept in towards the next dose time was quite high, so I know that it's providing quite a bit of relief. The side effects are much easier for me than Amitriptyline (very groggy/hungover even at low doses). Mornings are not my friend now, but they're manageable. I can't tell if I've experienced much weight gain (breakthrough pain limits my movement and I find it hard to lose any weight without exercising), and I don't think I've experienced dry mouth or any other negative side effects.Read More Read Less

Melanie | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/17/2022

I was prescribed this medication for chronic migraines and anxiety. Started off at 10mg at night, then after 2 weeks, I take 20mg each night. I have crazy and nightmarish dreams. It has helped decrease the number of migraines a month, but I feel drowsy all the time, zombie-like, foggy brain throughout the day until mid afternoon. I have backed up my time for dosage to dinner time to help remedy the drowsiness the following morning. It has made me lazy and really not wanting to do much. I struggle with work tasks. So no migraines, but I'm not the person I used to be. I think I would rather be who I used to be, outgoing, athletic and full of energy lady with migraines that would put me in bed for days, then a daily foggy, lazy, drowsy napping all the time lady.Read More Read Less

Susan | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/7/2022

My physician prescribed this medication for pain from Intersitial Cystitis. It has helped greatly with the pain but not completely. But, I have developed migraine like headaches, constipation, and heart palpitations since starting this medication. Several months after starting this medication I developed swelling in lower legs and ankles and rashes (pertecuia). I also occasionally have jerky movements in my body and see things moving in my peripheral vision that resemble moving insects. I do not sleep any more that 5.5 to 6 hours no matter what I try to get better sleep. My doctor said that the drug helps migraine sufferers but I developed the migraines after starting the drugs. I need to stay on the drug for my IC issues. The drug also helped a lot with outer wrist pain. I cannot say for sure that the above problems started with the drug but I am very suspicious of the rashes, occasional jerky movements, heart palpitations, visual images of moving insects, and painful headaches which were non issues before this medication although some of these issues started several months later. All of my new issues are listed online as symptoms.Read More Read Less

jps1005 | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/6/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

Medication works okay (taking for neuropathic pain and migraines) but the side effects are the worst of any med I’ve ever taken. Only on 25 mgs, started two weeks ago. Horrible insomnia, dry mouth, dizziness, feeling like bugs are crawling on me, and crippling anxiety. I’ve been having panic attacks for the first time in my life over literally nothing. Glad I read the reviews and know these are all side effects and I’m not going nuts. Stopping this med immediately.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/20/2022

Was given for possible nerve damage in knee, after TKR. knee unresponsive to medication, instead - experiencing bad side effects. terrible sleep, & horrific nightmares - VERY dry mouth, high pitched ringing in my ears, bee-like stinging sensations on various body pts. and feeling like bugs constantly crawling all over me. This med was not for me.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/2/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I started this medication for migraines, began taking 10mg at bedtime increasing the dosage every night until I reached 50mg. Having serious dry mouth and lips, extremely fatigued, tingling in my feet. Not going to take it anymore as the dry mouth is unbearable to me.

LC | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/12/2022

Prescribed for Covid-19 cough. Worked like a charm! Able to finally sleep and even lay down for a while. Covid-19 Cough is horrible -dry and unstoppable. Codeine, steroids, inhalers, cough syrups/drops, etc. don't touch it.

Emma | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/13/2021

I use nortriptyline for Migraine had chronic migraine since being a child. I’m 51 and started on this drug in my late thirties. I take 75mg a day passed few years. Haven’t had a bad migraine for years. ???????????? It’s fantastic made me tired for a while to I got used to the dosage ??

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/2/2020

I only take 10mg at night for almost to months now for migraines and insomnia. I sleep better, no migraines but have extremely vivid dreams (some nightmares) and have started having this uncontrollable twitching in my left eye randomly.

Winters | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/19/2020
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

This has quelled my severe headaches. Before, they immobilized me, and I was in so much pain. Now, I haven’t had symptoms since a few weeks after I started taking this. It does have the dry mouth side effect, which is annoying, but better than the pounding migraine

Leslie | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
12/18/2019

Prescribed this medicine after 3 years of stomach issues where I had a full blown flu symptoms 5 days a week. 2 of my doctors couldn't figure it out. GI doctor said overly sensitive stomach and taking these for the last 6 month made me feel awesome!!

Liz | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/18/2019

Debbie | 55-64 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
12/11/2018
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I've been battling arthritis in my shoulder/clavical. 9 of 10 on the pain scale. Five years and 15 doctors later I had a pain specialist prescribe 25mg 1/day Nortriptyline along with 200mg Gabapentin. Only the 2 meds together relieve my pain. Neither help alone.

Sexual Dysfunction | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/21/2018
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I am a male with two crushed discs in my back. I was prescribed this drug as an alternative to opiate pain medication twice in the last 10 years. Not only was this drug not effective for that use, but both times I experienced severe sexual dysfunction within the first month of use. Both times I had to stop use of the drug. I recovered sexual function after the first use 10 years ago, but after the second use within the last year I have never recovered from the sexual dysfunction. All males should be made aware of this possible side effect by their Doctors. Sadly in my case neither of my providers did so.Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 25-34 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/24/2017
Condition: Depression

This has been a life saver for me. Iâ??ve always delt with depression, with my second pregnancy had bad postpartum depression. I was on Wellbutrin for a while, but it wasnâ??t helping much. This has worked. It took a couple weeks to adjust to the medication, but now the only side effect I have is dry mouth that forces me to drink lots of water, which is a good thing.

Hopeful | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/31/2017
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I was given this medication to help with nerve pain in the leg and especially knee pain by a pain specialist Dr. It worked to control the pain but only if I do my exercises daily. Trying to stay at 10 mg at night. After 2 1/2 months I have moderate to severe joint pain in both shoulders. Started to have pain in my ribs and side if I sleep on my left side. I have some weight gain, started to get headaches and urinating a lot. Am very sensitive to drugs. Will be seeing the Dr to figure out what to do. The medicine is working but I hope to get off of it soo Read More Read Less