My doctor first had me on a more expensive statin med, which had no generic, and after my research, I found this Lovastatin, which is a generic to be just as effective. Have been taking it for 3 years. Doctor approves! Helps me not to reach my Medicare Plan D gap and still does the job for $4.00 per month!

side effects from this medication?

garanshel | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/25/2013
Condition: High Cholesterol

I just started taking it about a month ago. I was taking Lovastatin which did work. This generic has not helped yet.

goedelite | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
12/17/2011
Condition: High Cholesterol

A possibly serious side-effect makes me "not satisfied" in the star ratings. I had been taking 20mg/day of lovastatin, prescribed for a 200mg/dl cholesterol level. It lowered my cholesterol to about 170. My HD level was not been a problem. An ultrasound of my liver reported a course textured image, which is interpreted as a "fatty" liver. The ultrasound was made because my blood showed high levels of AST and ALT enzymes; also a low albumen. The blood work-up followed a surgical procedure, a laproscopic colon resection made necessary by a colonoscopy that punctured my colon. The AST, ALT and albumin levels have all returned to the normal range, but now my ALK-P level is slightly above normal. I have ceased taking lovastatin since the ultrasound. My personal opinion is the lovastatin caused my "fatty" liver, and the stresses of my surgery were not causative. They may have raised my enzymes temporarily but did not give me a coarse textured liver.

Anonymous | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
12/17/2011
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

I am 78 and have been taking mevacor since I was 58 and had a heart attack with colesterol levels of 280 & trygliseride level of 780. with mevacor I experienced no side effects at all!! now the v.a. says they can't get it! When I take the other statins I get severe side effects. Now I'm trying to find out who makes mevacor but to no avail.

karlo | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
8/30/2011
Condition: Heterozygous Inherited High Blood Cholesterol
Pippin | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/15/2011
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

I have been on this medication for 3 months and have been having shortness of breath......thought it was from the dry dusty weather we have been having but reading the Mayo Clinic report, see where this is one of the side effects of Lovastatin. Am also having problems with other statin drugs. Will see what the doctor says on Tuesday.