AT FIRST I FELT LIKE I HAD MORE ENERGY.  NOW I AM TIRED ALL THE TIME AND I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT  AND FEEL DEPRESSED., BUT MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS GOOD.  I WOULD LIKE TO QUIT THE MED

I hate it. I think it makes me gain weight. I wish my dr would focus on my weight but apparently he don't think its an issue, just as he don't think my mental health is an issue. Or maybe he just dont think that's his problem as we all have a PCP now , and he can pawn us off to another and not think about it.

Tom D | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/28/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

While it lowered my blood pressure well in conjunction with the triamterene/htcz I had already been taking, it dropped my heart rate much too low,- down to 45 bpm resting and not above low 70s during activity. Caused unusual fatigue., more winded, lightheadedness, chest pains.

Dana | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
8/23/2022
Condition: Rapid Ventricular Heartbeat

I have been taking metroprolol for 12 years. My health has declined since then. I was put in the emergency room for a rapid heartbeat after a bad reaction to some cough medicine. I was in the hospital for 4 days and they prescribed 25 mg twice A-day. The most noticeable side effect for me was crushing fatigue and just feeling like a zombie. I have very significant brain fog and I just don't feel like I think clearly. I have developed very bad IBS, a chronic long term pain in my stomach and upper back, Horrible acidic diarrhea Sometimes as much as 20 times A-day. Eventually this led to having my gallbladder removed. The symptoms have improved but every time I take the medicine within an hour I am in the bathroom. I have also experienced a large amount of hair loss, and a significant loss of sexual desire. I have become gluten intolerant, dairy intolerant and beef intolerant. I have terrible acid reflux And I have no tolerance for heat. I feel like my legs and arms are weak. I am glad I found this page because it makes me really question The safety of this medicine for me. It does control my heart rate but it drops to levels that I am really uncomfortable with. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and my heart rate is 58.So yesterday I cut my medicine down to 12 and a 1/2 in the morning and 12 and a 1/2 at night. I'm going to see if this doesn't doesn't drop my heart rate so low. I know everyone's body chemistry is different and we all react differently but for some people the side effects are very harsh. I have decided I'm going to talk to my cardiologist about the ablation procedure. I have made some pretty significant changes since I 1st was diagnosed doing this VT. I have lost 40 pounds, I have left my high stress job as an over the road trucker, I have learned to say no to other people and do what is best for me and I Have made other dietary changes.. I allow myself to have one cup of coffee in the morning and no other caffeine. I have also released my sugar consumption and gone gluten and dairy free. I honestly think if I had not quit gluten I would be disabled today. I think the best thing we can all do is find a good doctor who will listen to our concerns and not run us through the mill. The last time I saw my cardiologist he was literally in the room with me for 3 minutes. I do not consider this quality of care care and I am going to find someone else i do not consider this quality of care and I am going to find someone else. I wish you all the best.Read More Read Less

Azsuban | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
7/25/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I am so glad I looked at this site because I just contacted my PC to take me off of it. I have been having issues sleeping even though I am exhausted and feel like I have the flu all the time. The nightmares and body aches are horrible.

Stuffy | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/12/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I would not recommend this pill to anyone. It is awful and the side effects linger. It messed up my digestive tract and I am hoping after a few months of not taking it things will get better. I have never felt so horrible in all my life. Unfortunately, generic blood pressure pills raise b.p., even tho the pill was suppossed to lower it.

William | 55-64 | Male | Patient
6/30/2022
Condition: Ventricular Rate Control in Atrial Fibrillation

I take 25mg cut in half, and it's making me anxious because I notice the reduced heart rate.

Anonymous | 0-2 | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Caregiver
6/21/2022
Condition: Ventricular Rate Control in Atrial Fibrillation

My dad is active, healthy, no previous conditions, NO high blood pressure, NO diabetes, NO cholesterol, NO triglycerides, nothing at all but he has an irregular heartbeat. He was put on this medication, since then he pass out, sleeping all day and night, no balance, etc This is poison, FDA should take this out.

Wendy | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/10/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I was prescribed this for high blood pressure after I had my baby, my blood pressure got really high during pregnancy. Doctors thought my BP would go down after birth but it stayed high so I was prescribed 25mg of this. It too a few weeks before it lowered my blood pressure but it finally did! Made me sleepy at first but that went away about 2 months in. My heart rate was very high normally and this helped it to slow down a bit which has made me less anxious. I’m pleased overall and don’t mind staying on this medicine as long as I need to for my blood pressure. I don’t even notice I’m on anything Read More Read Less

Annlynn | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/3/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Been very dizzy,nauseous on this medication. My feet are stillness swollen. Got blood work and it came back abnormal. This is the only medication I take.

Nancy | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/2/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Have severe side effects from this med. Can barely walk,very dizzy and feet are swollen. Dr says I'm ok but this is the only thing I take and it started afterwards. I'm in my middle 70's and feel like 100. I used too be active.

Sunny | 0-2 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
4/3/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Weight gain of 30 lbs in last 3 months mostly in waist area. Tinnitus is worse. No energy. Depression is bad. BP still high mostly at 160 /95 . Just don't feel good since December. Even my teeth hurt. Doc said everything was okay. I don't think they listen at all. I want off this med. At 72 I think I know my body.

Howard | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
1/31/2022
Condition: Abnormal Heart Rhythm

I have been using this medication for several years. It has kept my heart rhythm steady and out of A-Fib.

Leticia | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
1/17/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

This medication has increased my weight by 75 pounds I have an allergic reaction to it with whelping and swelling and itching. Thinning of hair and diarrhea. Shortness of breath which I’m sure is due to the extra weight. Will be consulting with Dr. to take me off of this medication this week.

serlinda | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
12/9/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I have irregular heartbeat been on metoprolol tartrate 25 mg 2x daily for 7 years … it helps me so much but at the beginning of starting medication I did experience side effects which were fast heartbeat/chest pain, dizziness, drowsiness and weird dreams. Overall it has helped me a lot to lower my heart rate and chest pains,

welluntilnow | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/11/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Never been on a long term med before. I felt overall ill on this with crying jags and exhaustion. Had to hold on to the walls to walk.

WorldTraveler | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
10/12/2021
Condition: Abnormal Heart Rhythm

A one-time ER visit a year ago with diagnosed Atrial fibrillation; no history of high blood pressure, just an occasional flutter that usually stops after a few deep breaths. In fact, I had been quite active as a cycler, hiker, traveler. Then this one incident resulted in ER person (never have met the cardiologist!) prescribing Metoprolol Tartrate, 25mg morning and night (50mg/day). Immediately had reaction including dizzyness, lethargy, despair, and a concern about treatment without knowing my health history. All tests were "normal". I have reduced to 12.5mg once at night and have had no issues. BUT, I'm planning to get a second opinion because ALL tests are "normal" and even this small dosage has affected my energy level, weight (increase), and confidence. The treatment choice makes no sense.Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
7/16/2021
Condition: Abnormal Heart Rhythm

Chronic fatigue, chronic lack of energy, personal care and hygiene is suffering, along with household cleaning and chores, bills are behind, severe migraines, chronic pain, constantly cold, blurred vision, weight gain,, I'm not myself at all. I used to be very bubbly, outgoing, the life of the party, was always known for being able to just walk in the door and light up the entire room with my smile, my laugh, my radiance. Sure can't do that anymore because I'm all doom and gloom nowadays. I used to always be a busy body. Now I can't be blasted out of the house. I used to always do my makeup, lipstick or lip gloss and hair and get dressed up nice in a matching outfit or a dress or even just a cute pair of blue jeans with a cute little shirt and a matching pair of seasonal shoes. But, that's all long gone to the waaay side for me too. I don't take pride in anything anymore at all. And I always used to take pride in myself, my vehicle, my inside and outside of my home. I'm deeply depressed.Read More Read Less

Jeff | 45-54 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/12/2021
Condition: Abnormal Heart Rhythm

Started having eye problems almost immediately.

Alive | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
5/8/2021
Condition: Heart Attack

After reading the most helpful rated experiences people reported and how other people approved those reviews/experiences there are 2 common themes. Depression and Doctors who won't listen. I'm on 200mg a day and have been for over 9 years. One doctor told me flat out, "your alternative is death". In regards to stopping. "Disease" puts us in these positions, not the meds and if you are like me or close then you have more meds than just this? But "Death" is my alternative as my Doc said, so perspective gives me a different outlook when put that way? I just completed a 2 mile hike over very rugged turf, Pickle Springs Conservation Area in Missouri. I carried a camera and lens, water the whole way. I have survived 10 heart attacks, mini-strokes, a cabbage the Docs call them, since 2005 and had over 11 stents placed. I got better...lot's of verticals to climb btw.. This is important to know. I can do things at 65+ I couldn't do 5 years ago or even 15 years ago without experiencing serious repercussions. Today I can pace myself, I have better stamina and endurance and I don't work out at all, just walk when I can. There's no way anyone can convince me that it hasn't provided me a better quality of life - I am living proof. The med doesn't allow your heart rate to increase rapidly or stay increased, learning to understand what it does to you is a key to adapting with it. Like my doc said.... Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 55-64 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
6/6/2020
Condition: Heart Rate Between 100 and 130 Beats Per Minute

Every time I bump my arms, I bruise and sometimes bleed. I makes huge places on my arms.

Tom8pie | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/12/2020
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I take 50mg twice a day for high blood pressure. It works very well for me. My blood pressure is now around 130/76... which is better than before. Overall, I am very satisfied with it.