I am an MD, and I have about 300 diabetic patients, and I am myself a diabetic. I prescribe and use metformin. The only side effects of note are intestinal problems, and perhaps some patients are more susceptible than others. To decrease or avoid these problems, take metformin with a meal, and eat plenty of fiber; taking psyllium helps decrease gas. Most people here think that anything that happen...

I took it for polycystic ovary syndrome and being on this medicine almost killed me

doris | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
11/1/2021
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March and have been taking Metformin for 7 months. It did not control my blood sugar effectively, and the side effects were almost debilitating - severe chronic diarrhea and weight loss. I was unwilling to continue Metformin and discussed other options with my doctor. She took me off Metformin and prescribed Glipizide. I realize Metformin works for many patients, but not for me.

LivingwithT2D | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
10/19/2021
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Been taking for years now. 500mg twice a day, same time every day. Initial diarrhea went away in due time. Lost a little weight, A1C went down. A staple of my med. routine. It works well with Invokana (oral) and Ozempic injectable I also take.

RM | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/18/2021
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Taking for 3 months already once a day 500MG so far good results A1C down 200 to avg 125 usually ... if I eat lite bf I feel good no effects But I take dose eat nothing til lunch Gas + gurgling tummy

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
10/12/2021
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

I have IBS. This RX caused me to have severe stomach pain and diarhhea.

JaeBird | 13-18 | Female | Patient
10/3/2021

I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and was at one point pre-diabetic, started taking this and originally the stomach issues were minimal,but I did eventually stop taking it as I was on keto and my mom wanted me taken off it for a bit. I began to exercise a bit and continue dirty keto then my doctor told me I was no longer pre-diabetic. Now my gynecologist has put me on this to regulate my body weight(I guess) and insulin resistance,so my periods and things like that will become normal,but this medicine has made my life hell. Constant stomach pain when I eat anything involving sugars like dessert or drink a soda,constant stomach issues like diarrhea and nausea. My mom's fiancee is experiencing similar issues such as diarrhea. I stopped taking it for a few days while on vacation so I could enjoy myself and I felt amazing,hoping my doctor can find me a substitute.Read More Read Less

Denize | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/1/2021
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Took first dose for dinner 2 hours later felt the earge to sit on the commode nothing. 20mins later I almost didn't make it to the toilet diarrhea was intense. My stomach cramp so bad. while I was peeing sh*t from my butt. Then I started to vomiting. Yes its coming out from both ends at the same time.. I cried ??. This went on for another 2 hours. How do people go about the there daily life after taking this med?

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/16/2021
Condition: Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

First day of taking this Med… I notice the itching and hives after taking it, so I thought that was going to be the worse, boy was I wrong. In the middle of the night, at 2a the party got started. Not in a good way! Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea at the same time. Had to use the toilet with a trash can in front of me. Severe cold sweats, the pain was unbearable. My husband thought I came down with a virus infection, like Covid. I’d rather go into labor! Stay away from this medication.

Better | 55-64 | Male | Patient
8/14/2021
Condition: Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Taken as prescribed. Along with added exercise and a better diet my daily average blood sugar dropped from 200+ to the 125 area. No major side effects, just a bit more gassy.

Anonymous | 19-24 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/15/2021
Condition: Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

If you have any prior GI issues, do NOT take this medicine. In the days I took it I had multiple issues with almost any GI issue you could imagine. Additionally, this medicine caused me to have low blood sugar. If I could give it 0 stars I would.

cant chit | 75 or over | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/6/2021

tryed this med an it constipates me

Dotsy99 | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/15/2021
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

500mg twice daily so far no side effects apart from appetite supressing which is a good thing. Dont know how effective it is yet as im only on it so far so good happy days.

Mary | 75 or over | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
8/30/2020
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

I have had no side effects with Metformin. Iâ??ve been taking Metformin almost 21 years. My A1C is always good.

Anonymous | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
6/7/2020
Bubba | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/13/2020
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Does a great job on my blood sugar. A1c down from 13.3 to 5.5 in 3 months. No side effects. I would recommend this drug to others with Type 2 Diabetes.

Madman | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/3/2020
Condition: Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

I have been taking this drug for 4 months now. Before I started taking it, I read all of the reviews about the drug. Several people have commented that diarrhea was a symptom that they noticed. I put myself on a keto diet, restricting my carbs...especially sugar...and I had no symptoms of diarrhea. Until, that is, yesterday. Super bowl Sunday!!! My wife had made some fudge for the party and had gone to the store for some last minute items. I snuck 2 one inch cubes of fudge...essentially pure sugar...and almost immediately started feeling that rumbly tumbly feeling. Then the diarrhea started. From this, I inferred that if you keep your sugar intake as low as possible...like your doctor told you to do...you won't have the symptom of diarrhea. This is just my experience, but I thought that it might help other people. Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
1/17/2020
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

metformin "let's you know" if you are eating foods high in sugar and/or fat! you may experience some gas, nausea and lbm while using; but eating foods that diabetics shouldn't eat definitely makes these side-effects amplified... but it is effective for blood-sugar and the severe side-effects can help you stay on a much healthier diet!!

Florida Norse | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
12/25/2019
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

2x daily 500mg More gas but not crazy. Only one time cramping bad. Worst for me was feels like a pit in stomach. I do get muscle aches around the ribs a few hours after taking but nothing crazy. What works for me I drink A bottle water taking pill, then lot more water throughout day and nimble throughout day saltines. Minor side effects seem to disappear or weaken if I take a nice leisure walk. Have not had my clinic A1C retested yet, however, home test seem improved on stabilization. I am pleased After this short period of time. Good luckRead More Read Less

Anonymous | 75 or over | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/24/2019
crampy squirt | 45-54 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/22/2019
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Took one pill for the first time. 2 hours later i had a feeling i could have a little diarrhea if i sit on toilet but i held it in.I experience massive flatulence.Then 6 hours after taking first pill my gut flipped over with a bad cramp. I barely made it to toilet and had violent explosive "moaning" diarrhea with cramps big time! Is this how every pill will do me!? My gosh! Who can go to work all day while on this medicine? Better have a change of clothes nearby at all times!

Miserable | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
10/29/2019
Condition: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Severe cramping, gas, bloating, diarrhea while taking medication. Worked very well to bring my A1C level down, but just couldn't function day to day for being in the bathroom several times daily.