Susie | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/15/2022
Condition: Mouth Irritation

This tasted so nasty I was unable to keep it in my mouth.

0960 |
5/2/2022
Condition: Mouth Irritation

Can't gargle something viscous. Hard not to swallow even though you're not supposed to.

Amy | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Caregiver
4/28/2022

I use this for acid reflux. Agree this stuff tastes nasty! The pharmacy gives me a syringe so I can get it right to the back of my throat. I can gargle it a bit but it is gross and then spitting it out is bad and that taste lingers. It helps if I rinse my mouth with mouthwash first, syringe the lidocaine and do what I can to keep it in my rear of my throat, spit it out, rinse quick with water then mouthwash.. something minty, after. It helps. For all that nastiness it's too bad it doesn't last a few hours rather than 20 minutes. But it does desensitize the pain enough for relief even if short termRead More Read Less

Arachna | 19-24 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/9/2022

Horrific sore throat due to COVID-19 infection, this was the only medication the doc was willing to give me. It's the consistency of cold honey, as bitter as a crushed up aspirin, and works for about 15 seconds. I was not given instructions to dilute the lidocaine, but I tried anyway and succeeded in numbing my tongue for about 10 seconds and my cheeks for an additional 5, with no relief whatsoever for my throat. Useless. Worthless. Don't even bother trying it.

Xinax | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/3/2019
Condition: Mouth Irritation

Difficult to gargle a viscous state...of this medecine. I think it will work better if you apply it with a Qtip but probably a long one. It did numb the area I was able to handle when doing gargles. It feels like mucus!! Horrible!

Anonymous | 13-18 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/13/2018
Condition: Mouth Irritation

Reading about other people's experiences with lidocaine, I was definitely freaked out when almost everyone said that they had gagged or had some other bad reaction when using it. I was seriously stuck between my fear of using it and the pain my mouth and throat were in. I finally decided to get it over with when I realized I couldn't handle the pain anymore so (like my doctor told me to do) I diluted it in water and semi-gargled it (which is hard to do considering the taste is super bitter) so I ended up sort of just holding the medicine in the back of throat for as long as I could stand the taste (about 30 sec) and spit it out. Though I had to wash my mouth out with water to get the strong flavor to go away, it was worth using for sure (it didn't taste good but it didn't make me gag). While the soreness isn't completely gone (I probably didn't follow all the directions as strictly as I should have) I feel a lot better for having used it. Read More Read Less

Soar Throat | 45-54 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/14/2018
Condition: Mouth Irritation

It tastes horrid. You should be given a syringe to get the medicine closer to the source of the pain, ie: the back of your throat. The instructions were not informative I had to resort to google and your tube. Worse if you don't leave it on for a prolonged time it's efficacy if minimal.

kayak | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/31/2017

OK so this is thick and nasty, but I just turned the spoon upside down and let it sit in the back of my throat until I could not stand it any longer. You can not gargle it is impossible. It did numb my throat!!

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | Patient
9/6/2017

DISGUSTING!!! BETTER OPTIONS OUT THERE!

Helpless. | 19-24 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/12/2017
Condition: Suppression of the Gag Reflex

I had gone to the Urgent Care (Kaiser) for Stomach Pain. The nurse gave the Lidocaine Viscous to drink. Within 2-3 minutes I was crying because as it traveled through my digestive tract it burned the sensitive ulcers in my stomach. As I cried for 10-15 minutes no one knew what to do in the office. They did not prescribe antibiotics although my blood came back positive for an infection. I was prescribed an acid reducer, which helps deadly bacteria like H. Pylori or CAG thrive. I would suggest do not take Lidocaine Viscous if you are a redhead or have recessive genes, you will freak out and shake. Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/30/2016
Condition: Mouth Irritation

works great but to thick ... thank you this medicine saved me .

Clintonian | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/18/2016

with extreme sore throat for 2 days, went to Urgent Care to be diagnosed with Thrush- prescribed lidocaine but tried twice to gargle,adding water, but it made me gag both times. cannot use-

momenzie | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/29/2016
Condition: Mouth Irritation

I thought I did something wrong, it's impossible to take a tablespoon of the medicine, which is the consistency of corn syrup. my tongue went numb before the medicine could even reach my throat. I'm kind of glad to read that others have had the same experience.

tob | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/10/2016

I was prescribed this medication for strep throat - this product has the consistency of maple syrup, gargling with it is impossible. The only thing this product will numb is your tongue because that's as far as it's going to get. This product can't even remotely reach the back of the throat due the thick viscosity.

TakingAnap | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/16/2016

Had a sore throat so painful I thought it was strep and went to urgent care. The rapid strep test came back negative so it was just a really painful sore throat. The Dr. gave me this RX for the pain and it helped tremendously! It's pretty thick so I'm not sure how any "gargling" would take place so I just swallow it. Numbs the pain so I can swallow and sleep better. It taste terrible but I'd say it worth the pain relief and better than going to the Dr. only to be told you just have a sore throat and walking away with no relief at all. Kind of wish they sold this OTC, its pretty affordable . Read More Read Less

St7369 | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/17/2016
Condition: Mouth Irritation

I was prescribed this for a very very bad strep infection that wouldn't go away so I had horrible pain. If you have to gargle it, mix it with flavored liquid Benadryl. For example, my pharmacist recommended 5 ml of grape with 5 ml of the lidocaine. The grape completely masks the taste and makes it easier to gargle. However, mine would stay numb for only a while and then start to feel painful again. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or what the problem is.

smilingtrish | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/12/2016
Condition: Mouth Irritation

Severe strep throat for past few day. Thank you to the person who said mix with water. I was afraid this would dilute the effects, but it actually allowed me to gargle the stuff and FINALLY find some relief after 2 earlier attempts undiluted that were epic fails. It isn't perfect. Only numbs your throat for a bit. but I went from cringing every time I swallowed to just a slight annoyance. I just need a stronger dose... but I guess they don't sell that.

Believer | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/16/2016
Condition: Mouth Irritation

This was the worse prescription every. I had soar throat and was asked to gargle with it. I kept gagging and after all this hassle only my mouth, lips and cheeks got numb. My throat was still hurting. Worse medicine ever.

gsustudent8043 | 13-18 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/23/2016

I was prescribed this medication to ease my severe sore strep throat along with Amoxicillin and Benzonatate tablets. The directions clearly say "Swish and gargle 15mls (about one tablespoon) for 15 seconds every 4hrs while awake for pain. Spit out, do not swallow". At first glance, I didn't have any concern for taking this medication. I have experienced gargling a warm water salt solution before and assumed this would be similar. After squeezing the thick, corn syrup consistency, goop into a tablespoon I immediately grew reluctant to gargle this slime. I sucked it up, and before I could gargle the ooze for 3 seconds, I found myself violently gagging and throwing up into my sink. I figured there had to be a better way of taking this medication, so I grabbed a cup and blended equal parts warm water and the syrup. I found the courage to try gargling this mess again hoping the dilution would make it more bearable. I was able to gargle the substance for a little longer the second time around, but inevitably, I ended up gagging and vomiting once again into my sink. After all of the hassle, only my tongue, cheeks, and lips received the numbing sensation. My sore throat was not subdued what so ever, and the numb feeling I did have went away after 5 minutes. I would not recommend this medication to anybody, unless they have no type of gag-reflex, can stand the awful taste and smell, and can accept paying for Rx that is not effective. I am not satisfied with my prescription, but hopefully the other medications given to me will get the job done. Read More Read Less

JustMeJT | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/8/2016

Prescribed for severe sore throat. Initially, I thought pharmacy skipped a step in the gargling instructions. It was like gargling with corn syrup. The company that is producing this drug needs to reinvent the consistency to allow proper usage for gargling and can definitely up the numbing action. Will never use or recommend this product to anyone.