BP running consistantly at least 150/100, hot flashes (perimenapause), SOB, nervous, heart palpitations interfering with sleep, Hyper or exhausted, no in-between. Was placed on two different anti-depressants and HCTZ, had allergic reactions to all. Smart physician suggested clonidine and I now have BP of 120/80 or lower, no more palpatations, hot flashes greatly decreased, and I'am able to relax. ...

DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILD THIS DRUG. My mother took me off this med when I was prescribed for ADD because i was experiencing muscle twitches in my jaw. I almost experience mental retardation if it weren't for her taking me off of it.

Caley | 35-44 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/7/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I gave this medicine a shot because I was stopping a relatively low dose of painkillers I had been prescribed for an injury and I had mildly high blood pressure and thought it would be helpful. Initially it seemed to help for about three days. After that side effects started mounting. First came constipation. Shortly after that a dull pain started in my abdomen. The pain got so bad and was accompanied by a feeling of fullness so bad that I could barely eat food. The fullness got so intense it started to affect my breathing which had become shallow. Then came the heart palpitations which made me stop taking it. My blood pressure rose from 120/70 to 165/95 and the side affects continued for a couple weeks coming in waves. additional side effects of withdrawal from clonidine like hot flashes, headaches and redness in the face and hands started as I stopped the clonidine. I was only taking .1 milligram split in two doses morning and night. After a couple weeks it got better. Once I was better I decided to give it another shot only taking .025 doses twice a day. Within three days the side effects started coming back. That told me it was definitely the medicine. Here I am a week later. Mostly better. Still stomach pain, headaches, hot flashes. Haven’t had a bowel movement in three days. If the doctor prescribes you this get a second opinion. It really was only approved by the fda for emergency hypertension in the 60’s. Who knows if this stuff would even pass fda approval if they tried to get it thru now. I would be careful about going off label with this. Even at low doses this can have toxic effects on some people. My experience mirrors many of the other bad experiences I have seen on this review board. I am not the kind of person that writes reviews on medication but felt compelled to issue this warning. DONT WAIT FOR THE SIDE EFFECTS TO GET BAD! What you are feeling can last a week or two after you quit. This has been the worst medication experience of my life. Read More Read Less

Cheryl | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
2/15/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I was prescribed .03 mg of clonidine three times a day and I would get up to walk and fall asleep or faint and fall down. three sets of black eyes in a little over a month I would s i t on a bench and fall right off because I fainted. I found out I was totally over prescribed the doctor assistant not even read my chart almost all of the medicine I was taking call Chad effects of dizziness. So please everybody watch your dosage. I had no idea what was going on because when I took it in the hospital I was completely in bed. Her name was dr. Assistant Martha Drake so please be awareRead More Read Less

CO | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Caregiver
6/22/2021
Condition: Symptoms from Stopping Treatment with Opioid Drugs

My husband was on this for withdrawal and also high blood pressure. He would fall asleep mid sentence, eyes rolling back. It really freaked me out. One night he was confused and blood pressure dropped too low. He had vivid frightening Night terrors. Perhaps this drug helped him initially but as he recovered and no longer needed it for withdrawal, it only started to make his situation worse.

AL24 | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
6/5/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I was taking it as an emaergency med for my spiking BP I alsoTake Irbesartan (Avapro generic) 150 2 x daily I have dropped the Amalodopine and stated taking .1 clonodine in the eve daily I feel better It also helps me sleep and My cardiologist siad it was ok. .2 ha a much greater affect and I willonly take that in a BP emergency to lower my extremely high spikes (which no doctirs can figure out)

OK Momma | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/2/2020
Condition: High Blood Pressure

wow, this is an absolutely terrible medication. Or should I call it poison? If you like severe blurred vision then this medication is for you. If you like having your blood pressure spiked and barely dropped your normal level, this medication is for you. If you’d like not being and able to take a crap, This medication is for you. This medication is pure poison for your body.

PatriciaAnne | 75 or over | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/20/2020
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Clonidine made me very ill and my blood pressure went up instead of down. I took it for three weeks. It was addictive and hard to quit. My side effects were dreadful. My hair got thin and felt like straw. I had a terrible taste in my mouth and I had insomnia. I also got vertigo. I have never experienced this before and it scared me to death. I was exhausted all the time. My side effects are almost gone now but it was a very scary experience.

Anonymous | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/6/2019
Condition: Excessive Sweating

I like that it helps with excessive sweating, but I haven't felt the same. I have been having realistic nightmares,my hair falling out more than usual,and I have been having peeing trouble since starting this drug. I either am having to pee constantly o or I feel like I can't clear out my bladder. Or other times all of a sudden I have to go and I sometimes feel like I can't hold it til I get to a bathroom. I have been tired and my legs feel like heavy lead trying get around I have to sit, because I'm tired. I have been sleeping late in morning and still want to stay in bed for more sleep.Read More Read Less

Swallows14PillsAtOnce | 25-34 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/20/2019
Condition: Excessive Sweating

Medication did exactly what I needed it to do. Amen. I decided to read the warnings at a later date because I'm smart like that. The list of drugs that might end bad if mixed, I take the whole list, daily as a cocktail in one swallow including Clonidine. I also smoke legal marijuana everyday. I never once got dizzy, felt drowsy, or got some added hours of extra sleep. How is it possible? Listen to what your doctor and pharmacist tells you. My doctor told me taking this medication with all my other pills will be fine. No issues. He was 100% correct. Had I have researched this medication before taking it, I probably wouldn't have even bothered with it. Online warnings with the detailed info behind your prescriptions are only listed to cover their butts from being sued. Basically, these warnings could be for 1 out of 100,000 people for all we know. It's much better to avoid researching your medication online, unless absolutely necessary and last resort. For most people, it is easy to mentally create negative effects due to simply reading all the bad stuff. Thus damaging your medications true intent. Instead, visit a hospital, doctor, or walk into your local pharmacy if health care isn't free. They will all help you. Doctors usually know their medications. They are usually way smarter than you and I. If you have a bad Doctor, simply get a new one. A good doctor will tell you what you need to know before giving you a prescription, and the pharmacist should touch base with these things as well. Don't let the warnings of this medication listed online scare you away from its awesomeness. TRUST YOUR DOCTOR. CLONIDINE IS GOOD.Read More Read Less

9/20/2019

turtles | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/16/2019

Doctor prescribed this for my anxiety disorder. I'm surprised to see not many people take it for that. I've done very well on it, therapist says she rarely sees people do so well on meds. right now I take 0.2mg nightly, might go up to 0.3mg. as for side effects I've experienced drowsiness (especially because I also take certizine for allergies) but this has been beneficial for me because I'm now sleeping much better. I also have dry eyes but not very bad. I've never gotten dry mouth from them. I was a bit worried about trying meds but this has seriously improved my life overall, I still experience more anxiety than most people but there are so many things I can do now that I would've never done beforeRead More Read Less

mike | 55-64 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/11/2019
Condition: Symptoms from Stopping Treatment with Opioid Drugs

this drug has caused grogginess,sleepiness and has had limited effects on withdrawal symptoms. i was prescribed clonodine to reduce my dosage of opiods. i have taken it twice. i will not take it again. i would rather have withdrawal symptoms.

Anonymous | 55-64 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
2/1/2019
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Best BP med I've had. Very effective at keeping blood pressure levels in check, which is very important, since I only have one kidney. I think it might cause a little tiredness, but I take it early before I wake for the day and 12 hours later in the eve -- so it's not a problem.

Max | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/2/2019
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

I am an adult with ADHD, PTSD, and High functioning ASD. Clonidine does drastic wonders for my focus, impulsivity, and anger/emotional reactivity. For a while though I've noticed that depending on the day when it kicks in I will start sobbing uncontrollably. It doesn't happen every time and it generally stops on a dime. It's frustrating and upsetting and I'm not sure why this happens. I know folx on the spectrum can have more intense side effects/reactions to CNS medications and I'm wondering if that's related? I noticed a couple people have similar experiences with their kids. I'd love to know if anyone's had any luck managing that side effect or figuring out why it happens. It's especially frustrating because it works so well otherwise.Read More Read Less

Abmasud | 25-34 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/1/2019
Condition: Symptoms from Alcohol Withdrawal

Its a toxic drug and disqualifiable as a medication. Totally a patient killing drug.

Rere0215 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
6/9/2018
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Clonidine is the best high blood pressure medication that I've been on. I've tried other medications only to get horrible side effects. I highly recommend Clonidine. It does make you tired when first taking it but once your body adjusts, it's fine. Plus it also helps with hot flashes and excessive sweating - For me, that's an added bonus!

Vango | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/16/2018
Condition: High Blood Pressure

My GP warned me about this med and said, don't take it. Went to my cardiologist and have been on generic Toprol 200mg daily then he added this med 0.1mg morning and night. I've been taking this awful med for 2 mths. now and have such severe constipation. Lack of sleep and urinary incontinence. Gradually stopping this med. Now only taking one at night and will get off this asap!

CC | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
12/3/2017
Condition: High Blood Pressure

On six different BP meds which rarely drop my pressure below 140/85. Started taking clonidine.1mg about two months ago. BP dropped to an average 10 points on both sides. Reduced meats from diet, now getting readings below 120/70. Waiting to see if this remains consistent, but it has been the most affective drug I've used over 20 years. I only take it at night due to zapping my energy levels.

JakeHyper-Hydro | 45-54 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/30/2017
Condition: Excessive Sweating

Prescribed for severe sweating. I have CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) with a pain pump implanted which administers morphine. The sweats are bad, go through 4-5 changes a day. I was hoping this would help but NOT one bit. After 1 week of use of CLONIDINE HCL 0.1MG TAB I broke out with a rash (hives?) on my arms, chest and shoulders. Stopping use as I'm ready to rip my skin off the itching and burning is so painful. I will take sweating over this!

Tina | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
7/30/2017
Condition: Excessive Sweating

would like to stop taking this I have had weight gain and short of breath. I think it is from the clonidine.

Clonidine | 65-74 | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
7/27/2017
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Started taking 0.10 mg 3x per day August 2016. Experienced dry mouth, terrible nightmares, bad attitude. Backed off all blood pressure meds (with help from Doctor) One 0.10 mg Clonidine in the morning only helped maintain pressures at 145/70/70. Stopped Clonidine started Cardizem 120 mg 2x per day as an alternative to Clonidine. Only have a few days history but so far ok. Pressures still at 140/70/70. I have been taking blood pressure meds for 40 years and am convinced the less meds you can get by on the better you are.Read More Read Less