I have been on Depo for over ten years. I just had a BMD test and I am borderline Osteopenia. Hopefully we can stop osteoporosis before it develops. Please read your leaflets and stay on top of your medical care.

If I knew about all these side effects I would have NEVER taken it to begin with! I gain 75lbs on this! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS!

CC | 19-24 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/24/2021

I had no symptoms for roughly five days, but has been awful ever since. Light period in the beginning, but has quickly became a heavy period. I have been bleeding for 8 days now month1 into it and I don't anticipate my period ever ending. I am unmotivated to do household chores. My mood is at the lowest it's ever been. I want to give up on living, but the weakness and extreme fatigue from the shot is leaving me too numb to have suicidal thoughts, just thoughts of giving up and being "a warm body" instead. I've never been this depressed in my whole life before now. 7-10 hours of good sleep and want a 30 min - 2 hr. nap daily. Low lobido anyways, and now I don't desire sex at all. My partner is of moderate libido. The procedure is quick as depo shot suggests, but is sucking my life away. I don't like bleeding so much in short periods of time. Worried about potential anemia.

Alex | 13-18 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/28/2020

i’ve had had two shots. the first time i had it, insane mood swings for a couple of weeks and zero bleeding aside from the fact i was on my period when i got it. no weight gain and no insane breakout. my boyfriend did notice a lower sex drive. it’s not for everyone but it works well for me.

Joan | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
11/11/2019

I took depo to stop heavy periods, help with migraines, and most importantly as birth control. My period stopped around month 7 and i only cramp occasionally. My migraines have improved considerably. HOWEVER, the first 6 months I had severe anxiety and depression. Since the initial adjusting it has been great!

Anonymous | 19-24 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/18/2018

The 1st month of taking the shot was absolute hell. I was nauseous ALL THE TIME, constantly feeling stressed and on edge, dry, constantly crying, and just overall feeling like I lost control of my body. I got through the 1st month without my period but once the 2nd month came I've have nonstop bleeding going on 3 weeks of my period now and I've recently noticed my vagina smells like vinegar. I've tried everything to make my period stop and to get rid of this odor now I have no choice but to just wait out these 3 months of hell.

slorenzo | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
1/4/2017

The first time I got my injection of Depo it was right after I had my period. I did not get a period again until I got my second shot and my period lasted for about 3 months. It was not a very heavy period but I was definitely having continuous light bleeding that was mixed with an off-white discharge sometimes. It was not fun. After I got my third shot the bleeding stopped. I noticed that when it was close to time for me to get my next scheduled shot I would have some slight break through bleeding. It would subside once I got my next shot. I have not had a "normal" period while on depo. I have not had any weight gain either. The only side effects I would say I have are exhaustion, breakouts on my face, and a lower sex drive. I have heard depo causes bone loss so I take a calcium supplement every day to counteract that. I have not become pregnant while on depo and I just recently received my fourth shot. I would say it is very effective.