Before taking this medication, my knees and legs were in constant, extreme pain. After a year of this (no side effects), I have a small amount of occasional pain. I believe alendronate has been very beneficial. I am thrilled with my successful outcome!

My doctor prescribed this drug for osteoporosis. I took it 3 times, once per week, and then stopped. My doctor thinks I'm still taking it, but I'm not....because from the beginning, I just "KNEW" this stuff was POISON. And after reading the many, many reviews about the HORRIFIC side-effects of this CRAP, I will NEVER even touch this stuff, EVER again. Someone should start a class-action suit!!...

Alendontrate | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/14/2022

Prescribe by my doc for osteopenia, I wish I would have read reviews, worst meds, ended up throwing in garbage! Caused bad musculoskeletal pain in my 2 shoulders and forearms, very painful and debilitating. The only thing that’s helping is CBD soft-gels. CBD is very helpful for inflammation! This is a Godsend! Taking 1 in morning & night. Nu leaf was my choice. Hope this helps someone.

Sharon | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/7/2021
Condition: Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis Prevention

The reviews on this is scary, started taking algaeCal Plus in day and strontium Boost before bed. Reviews are amazing! All natural and my lower back pain is gone. Please look into this, you’ll be happy you did!

Nancy | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
7/24/2021
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

I have taken this for 2 1/2 years. DEXA shows small improvement. I am very concerned about side effects. This month a close friend had to go to her dentist because of bone shards that feel like glass cutting her mouth and tongue. She took heavy pain med to reduce her discomfort. Her dentist used to try to repair the deteriorating jaw into it at least try to eliminate some of her pain, but he no longer does anything because it just makes the jaw & gums worse. Since learning of my friends pain, I have stopped taking Alendronate Sodium.Read More Read Less

nutmeg | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/25/2020
Condition: Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis Prevention

9 months out from just 2 doses (35 mg/week) and I am finally recovered from the severe arm, hand, and shoulder pain it triggered. A factor in my adverse reaction to alendronate is likely that I was also taking PPI's, which I learned later amplify absorption of alendronate. After the first dose, I noticed sharp pains in my fingers that came and went. After the second dose, the next day I had severe pain in my right forearm, which grew worse over the next few days. I switched to using my left arm, but then that forearm grew painful, too. (I also had a few cramps in my thigh muscles over the first few days, and some pain in the balls of my feet). Over the next few weeks my forearms slowly improved, but as I started using my arms more, I developed pain in my shoulders and fingers. With rest, everything slowly improved. I thought I was recovered at 5 months, but then I carried a heavy bag on my shoulder, which triggered 6 weeks of shoulder pain. Now, at 9 months, I'm pretty much okay. Read More Read Less

Pris | 55-64 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
12/24/2019
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

I began taking Sodium Alendronate 70mg once a week in April 2019 at the recommendation (and my hesitation) of my GP whom I highly regard. I am 61 and have Osteoporosis. Otherwise, I am an active healthy woman. Soon after the second month I began to have chronic hip and low back pain. I thought it was from over exercising but the tightness in my joints and ligaments and pain lingers to this day. What is far more disconcerting is that I have mandibular tori (small bone growths in my lower jaw, under my tongue-never previously a problem nor change in size) and this past month I noticed a drastic increase in their size and sensitivity! After reading more extensively about osteonecrosis of the jaw I am most certain that the change in the tori is a result of this medication. I have decided to stop this treatment in the hopes that my joint/muscle pain and growth in the tori stop. I highly recommend extensive research prior to starting this drug. I am not convinced enough research has been done in the side effects vs. benefits. I will continue to eat healthy, take high quality calcium, magnesium and D3 and continue my normal exercise routine to try to combat osteoporosis naturally. I do not recommend this drug. The negative side effects do not outweigh the benefits for me. Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/1/2019
Condition: Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis Prevention

My question is why does the information on web MD say to take this pill daily?? This is a weekly medication, correct? This is dangerous information to the public because it is not accurate!!!

RobfromTexas | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/13/2019
Condition: Osteoporosis in Male Patient

I am a 59 year old male with Osteoporosis. Since taking this prescription, i vomit, suffer from a sore throat, experience more severe pain throughout my back, and just generally feel terrible. I’ve stopped taking the medication.

Anonymous | 65-74 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
4/3/2018
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

I am a small boned woman with pre-osteoporosis. My doctor prescribed Alendronate Sodium USP tablets 4 years ago. Last year I broke my right femur (thighbone), and this year my left femur broke. I've been in 2 convalescent homes where 70% of the women who had taken this drug were in there for broken femurs. Why aren't doctors protecting us from bad drugs?

Umashankar | 25-34 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/23/2018

I have sickle cell Anaemia & for the mistake of a renowned hospital i.e. Ramkrishna Hospital, Raipur, I experienced hip joint pain & subsequent MRI scan reveals it as bloodclot is formed at hip bone. I went to AIIMS hospital raipur and The doctor prescribed me Osteofos 70mg once a week. after 1.5 months of using, i am feeling pain at my toe region on both legs. This may be side effects of alendronate drug.

007 Person | 65-74 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/3/2017

Kat | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/12/2017
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

One dose yesterday morning, work up in the night with back & hip pain as well as shoulders and rib cage directly behind right breast. 24 hours later my entire body hurts, left knee, back, hips, neck, fingers, wrists, miserable headache. I feel like I have the flu. Calling my doctor now, I will not take this med again. Benefits don't outweigh the side effects.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/10/2016

Extreme nausea, dizziness, diahrrea

jkrasnow | 65-74 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/15/2014

Horrible drug, near wrecked my fathers life, difficult now to swallow and eat. So far permanent. Severe Headaches. Only made him worse. Hard to talk and now have a speech impediment and drool a lot. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!

Liz | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
9/2/2014
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

Had been taking for several months but next cat scan not for 3 years. I noticed a lot of shoulder pain and some lower back pain but more important was I started getting jaw pain and really bad night sweats that my body became so cold I bundled up even in hot weather to go to bed. Stopped taking for 2 months, cold sweat went away after about a month, then started RX again and cold sweats came right back. Has anyone else had cold sweats. I would probably resume taking except for the cold sweats.

Cindy | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
7/13/2014
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

Caused pain in my joints.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
3/15/2014
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
1/29/2014
Condition: Post-Menopausal Osteoporosis Prevention

Started having severe Jaw and Hip pain after taking Alendronate. Pain got so bad i had to stop the Medication,. Still dealing with some pain.

Debra | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/23/2013
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

swollen feet & hands, and backache. some heartburn. after the therd pill (3 wks.)

Jezebel | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
10/13/2013

Had hyper parathyroid disease have bee taking for 2 years and bone scan showed increased density. Haven't had any side effects what so ever, but I also have never had any other medical conditions or have never taken any medicines what so ever in my life time. But from the reviews am concerned a bout the fractures and do not plan not asking much longer

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/23/2013
Condition: Decreased Bone Mass Following Menopause

For the first 2 weeks everything was fine, no symptoms. Then after taking the 3rd wkly pill they hit - extreme diarrhea (I could hardly leave my house!), nausea, bloat, bone aches, disinterest in food. Also had a very scary burning and what I would describe as a paralysis of the esophogus. I was ready to call 911. So I stopped taking it but now my doctor wants to prescribe Atelvia. Read up on WebMD on that and the symptoms appear to be even worse so I won't be taking that either. Insurance company won't pay for the shot Reclast so I don't know what I'm going to do now. It's a shame that other reviewers have reported that Fosamax was a good drug but they won't pay for it. Read More Read Less