I was very lucky to have had a great nurse to show me how to inject myself. She gave me great advice about dealing with flu like symptoms. On the day of my shot I drink lots of water throughout the day (about 3 sports bottles full) I refer to it as "water boarding" that one day. I take the AVONEX out of the fridge 2-3 hours before injection. I make sure I have food in my stomach, then take 2 aleve...

about 4 to6 hours later i am achey all over and dizzy.this last for about two days.i have only done 2 doses (2 weeks)

Barb | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/14/2018
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I have been taking this med since 2002. I still get nasty side effects every week, but it’s a small price to pay for getting good mri results, and less attacks. Everyone’ body is different, so how this medication may effect one person, can be greatly different in someone else.

Shy1985 | 25-34 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
6/9/2017
Condition: Relapsing Form of Multiple Sclerosis

I was diagnosed in July 2016. I have been using Avonex the entire time. My symptoms where terrible at first and as time went they improved. Now the last couple of months have been awful, I am so drained I can't even tend to my two young boys. Feel terrible for two days. My Doctor is switching me to Copaxone, hoping it works for me.

medi | 25-34 | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
5/7/2017
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

???? ??? 1 ???? ?? ?? ?????? ??????? ?????. ????? ????? ????? ??? ???? ?? ?? ??? ????????? ??? ?? ???? ???? ?? ????

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/21/2016
Condition: Relapsing Form of Multiple Sclerosis

I have been taking Avonex for my R/R MS since 1996. I have only had one relapse of any consequence since then and that was in 1997. I feel very lucky that this drug has kept me relatively symptom free for many years.

mark rosenthal | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
8/2/2016
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

It didnt work for me and only gave me chills every week.

mordi | 55-64 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
5/7/2016
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

The only side effect that I have are pains in the injection place 4 days after the injection

Nicki45q | 45-54 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/17/2016
Condition: Relapsing Form of Multiple Sclerosis

I was recently diagnosed with MS and started Avonex last Friday. Celebrated getting it done but I went downhill the next day. Flu symptoms all over for three days. On the fifth day I am using a cane because my entire thigh is in agony. I pray it's going to get better but I heard that these side effects could last up to two months.I pray it's worth it. My nurse tells me to hang in here. The company that makes the drug has been a great support. They have a 24HOUR help line I have used three times already. The needle is too long and I will get that changed after the starter pack.Read More Read Less

Susanabanana | 55-64 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
2/15/2016
Condition: Relapsing Form of Multiple Sclerosis

Have been using it sine Jan. 1997 and have had only one exacerbation since starting it. I would not I fail to take the Tylenol I will still get some side effects- even after all these years.

You don't know my journey! !!! | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/19/2015
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I have only used Avonex. I was diagnosed in Feb 2015. I have some bery well with symptoms. Each case is different but I feel ber normal taking the Avonex.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
2/10/2015
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I've been on Avonex for 9 years now. I inject on Friday night take 2 Aleve before and most times it's fine. Every so often side effects come back as it was first time use EX: chills aches and just feeling run down. my Doctor gave me a box of smaller needles 30g . you can get them from CVS or Walgreens cheap. the smaller size helps with pain.as for the drug it self I have had 4 relapse's in 9 years but not too bad of ones so all in all it works

Jan | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
1/4/2015
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

At first it was quite painful and the side effects were awful. 5 years on, i rarely have side effects and the injecting is no problem

Anonymous | 55-64 | Male | Patient
10/17/2014
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I was diagnosed with MS 15 years ago. I started mixing and injecting myself. I didn't like the syring with needle but I suppose it helped. I only have a night of chills if I miss my weekly injection for a couple of weeks. I inject on Saturday nights before I go to bed. I take 4 Ibuprophen ane I sleep great. No side affects. The new pen is wonderful! Doesn't hurt a bit.

west18 | 13-18 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/20/2014
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I was diagnosed in November 2013 and this is the first treatment I started. I had horrible side effects with it. I couldn't stand for anything to touch my skin, flushing was very bad, severe headache, ached all over. I have never been in so much pain. I thought it was going to kill me. Stopped taking Avonex and currently about to start taking Tecfidera, praying I have better luck with it.

Anonymous | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
8/8/2014
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I USE THE PEN NOW AND I LIKE IT MUCH BETTER THAN THE NEEDLE. I MUST TAKE ALEVE BEFORE I INJECT TO COUNTER THE FLUE FEELINGS OF THE NEXT DAY

Sandee | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
7/25/2014
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

Have been on avonex since diagnosed in 2007, have not had any major flare ups, have recently orderedavonex pen to try and do my own shot. I have slight effects day after shot but tylenol/advil together works great.

???? kim? | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
6/26/2014
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

i feel like shit sfter 2-4 hoirs and lasts next day. severe shooting pains everywhere in my body. and yawning non stop.

LarryS | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
2/3/2014
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I have been on Avonex for about 14 years. Until about eight years ago I had flew like symptoms the day following my shot. Those stopped when I started taking three Advil about one hour before injecting myself. the couple of time I forgot to take the Advil I woke up in the middle of the night with the flu like symptoms. i still use the long needle. I made a commitment with myself to inject myself before I made it to ten when counting 1-10. i have not had any bad symptoms from my MS in the last 10 years. There have been a few times when I was fatigued for a month or two but not so much so that I could not work. Seldom do I ever have the twitches in my arms, under my eyes, in my legs... nor the vibrations in my feet. Those went away a few years ago other than an occassional one. my shoes wear out quickly on my heals and toes but I have taps added now which helps. The Avonex has been a blessing.Read More Read Less

teri | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
11/22/2013
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

i am using the pen must easier

Hopeful | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
8/26/2013
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I took this medication almost 7 years. The fevers, chills never resolved on their own. Aleve was the only drug that would minimize those side effects. My ms did not worsen on the drug. Mris were stable. I did develop loss of muscle and over time got to the point where my arms and legs hurt to touch. Med greatly increased anxiety and guilt symptoms - did not have prior depression symptoms or other reasons to be depressed. I did not realize how much I suffered mentally until after I quit the meds. If you feel overwhelmed, anxious, etc it may be this med. arm and leg pain resolved after discontinuing drug. Read More Read Less

Jennifer G. | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
7/24/2013
Condition: Multiple Sclerosis

I have been on Avonex since being diagnosed with MS 7 years ago. It has worked for me, but I do have to say getting past the flu like symptoms was the hardest part. I was ready to quit the shots all together because of that. I had 103-104 fevers, my body felt like I was run over by an 18 wheeler and my fever would come fast and leave fast (all and all it would last for about 7 hours) and after the fever was gone I was covered in sweat and left with a massive headache for the remainder of the day. I would freeze when the fever was coming on! My kids piled blankets up on me and I couldn't feel the tips of my fingers and my hands would be the worst part to hurt. BUT, I stuck it out and got past all of that and now I take 2 Aleve right after taking my shot and haven't had a side effect in over a year. They come back once in a great while but it's nothing like it used to be when my body was getting used to the medicine. I was afraid to swap to a different medication too when all of that happened because they all have flu like side effects so I was afraid it would do the same thing.Read More Read Less