I am on for Colitis which I was diagnosed 3 years ago. Tried other treatments ... they worked on and off. Prednisone still the miracle drug for me - but I have been off of that for 4 months with no issues. I have been on 6MP alone with no other supplements since stopping prednisone - I have no side effects to the drug and I am finally feeling that I again live a normal life.

Allergic to sulfasalazine, Colazol/Asacol ineffective in treating steriod dependant UC - tried Purinethol - Massive allergic reaction - 106 fever, spine and joints freezing up in pain, hives, spots on tongue - several doctors unable to diagnose - discontinued drug. In remission on nicotine therapy.

Crizteana | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/14/2019

Took this for 10+ years for ulcerative colitis. It was great and put me in remission, however I just had to have vulvar pre-cancer removed since this lowered my immune system. I also got shingles while taking this medication since my immune system couldn’t fight it off. If you do take it be cautious. I have chosen to discontinue it at this time.

Joe | 19-24 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/16/2017
Condition: Crohn's Disease

This is by far the worst medicine i ever used since having this disease. Since I started taking it i had multiple side effects, being exhausted was one, the other ones where heavy pain around the stomach area ,skin rash , brain fog and all my crohns complaints actually came back. Cramps, feeling constant ill and other issues. Since I started taking this I noticed something changed my body didn't felt the same and the pain was killing me, how ever my specialist wanted me to keep using this terrible drug for over a month and I'm saying right here: if you got severe pain in your stomach area or liver stop the medicine at any cost, you most likely are ruining your liver/pancreas really bad! Which happened to me, your specialist will let you do blood tests every few weeks but listen to your body! I ended up in the hospital because i damaged my body pretty bad. Ask for entocort if you have light to medium crohn. Ask for prednisone medium to severe, when under control entocort. I'm saying this because most of the other medicines for this disease are total trash and not working at all, i been off it for a few days and i have been feeling better since ALIVE! The paper with the side effects are inaccurate and it's not 1-100/1-1000 people who get pancreastis or any liver issues due this medicine! It's so much higher i can just tell from the people I spoken with in the hospital and online! Becareful and for your loved ones pay attention! If you have a medicine that does the trick and it's okay, be sure to have some spare, incase your specialist wants you on something "better". Hopefully it won't effect you like it did to me!

Rara | 25-34 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/15/2016
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I started taking Purinethol after Crohn's disease diagnoses. The drug seemed effective as I wasn't experiencing much pain, however I can't be sure if it was directly related to the medication or not as I had just had my ileum removed (the main source of my pain and flare ups). Side effects of the medication was discolouration to my skin, so I went off it (unknown to my gastroenterologist). I have since been off the drug for 4 years and have not had a major flare up and very minor sensitivity. I chose an alternate route with a naturopath, and other alternative health care professionals. I am forever grateful. This has worked for me and has been very effective. I don't get flare ups, am a healthy weight, and am very happy. Taking the drug didn't sit right for me, that is why I seeked alternative help, even though my GastoE said there was no other option for me other than to take the medication. Just advising that there are other ways

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | Patient
6/20/2014
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I was taking it for Crohn's since 2001. It stopped my Uveitus attacks. Please do research on this. I was just taking off. I got a uveitus attack right away . I now know I have osteoarthritis in my hands, knees, neck, wrists and back. The generic does not work. The brand has been removed from the market. Please bring it back.

willie | 65-74 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
12/30/2013
Condition: Crohn's Disease

After taking this drug for approximately 25 years, the Mayo clinic tells me there is a very good chance that it was the cause of sever scare tissues in my lungs. I also have a sever loss of hearing--maybe the result of the chemo as well. My doctors never warned me of these possibilities.