tmclafferty | 55-64 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/17/2011
Condition: High Grade Dysplasia associated with Barrett's Esophagus

Some 12 years ago, following several explorations I was injected with Photofrin and subsequently treated with laser to ablate some 6 sites, several of which were estimated to be at or beyond the maximum depth at which the Photofrin was expected to be useful. Two days later a minor additional laser treatment ensued to cover a few small areas of BE which were found to remain. I was then routinely followed up with approximately a half dozen examinations over a year-long period. My only difficulty came from the irregular elimination of the photosynthetic reaction from my body. After careful testing at home, I "celebrated" the end of the process some 3 months after injection, only to receive burns and blisters on my left arm, which hung out a car window for an hour or so. These burns resolved into ongoing skin bumps and wrinkling, thin patches of skin, and the presence of a tarry or tacky substance which covered portions of the arm and has not been successfully eliminated over the past 12 or so years. Nighttime itching and scratching occurs leading to "thin skin" bleeding. Nevertheless I am alive to battle this problem and avoided an esophogectomy (sp?) which was in the planning stage for me when successful stage 1 trials of Photofrin were completed. Even given the drawbacks and problems I would choose this treatment again without question.

Usafguy5777 | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
2/21/2009
Condition: High Grade Dysplasia associated with Barrett's Esophagus

I was injected with this drug, Fotofrin about 4 years ago. Over a period of months my high grade dysplasia and Barrett's esophogus, was greatly effective inn treating the cancer. However, due to the side effects of the drug, I was unable to go outdoors into the sunlight or in strong lights. After avoiding sunlight for over a month, I still encountered severe darkening of my face and arms. Also, my Penis and kness have darken greatly. Treatment was performed at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL. Although there are no signs of any cancer, I still have Barrett's Esophogus and a peptic ulcer, causing high heartburn, dificulty swallowing, and painful stomach. Bowel movements are usually dark and "mash potato" consistancy. follow up medications is Prevacid 60mg,2x daily(discontinued), and Nexium 20mg, 1 per day.