I take the generic gabapentin. I've been on it for over 10 years to treat diabetic neuropathy in my feet, which used to be so bad I would literally cry. I tried soaking my feet in buckets of ice water, but naturally it had no effect. The burning, stabbing, stinging pain was unbearable, especially at night. My doctor prescribed gabapentin. For me it has been nothing short of a miracle drug. W...

I will state this medication works for my pain, but my hair is falling out. Every time I brush my hair, or run my hand through my hair, the hair is falling out in bunches. Not clumps, but you get the drift. I have only been on this nonsense a month and it's going in the garbage. Had it. I am, almost, tempted, to take all the hair: put the hair in a damn jar, and bring it to my next doctor's appoin...

Susan | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/29/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

Diarrhea and feeling sick(vomiting)

BOSTONNATION | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
6/16/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I am 33 years old, at the age of 14 I was brought to children's hospital in Boston, & diagnosed w/ Colitis disease in my small intestine…I was there for 4 years until I was an adult and able to change hospitals. They had me on so many pain meds, different anti-flare up meds, etc. It was awful. I had a colostomy bag on and off for 6 months here and there. When I turned 18 my mom who is a Nurse practitioner, worked at Boston Medical Center in Pre-Op. she recommended I come to BMC because the BEST G.I. Doctor, and best G.I. Surgeon worked there. This is extremely true because they had records and letters of documentation, and were in magazines of best doctors in the country. So long story short. I was on so much pain meds from Children's Hospital. Plus I was also on a medication called FLAGYL which is an anti-flare up medication. I was taking it orally for two years prior. When I went for an evaluation at BMC, they found a hernia growing behind my stoma. I couldn’t feel it due to all the pain meds. They had me stay and had to do emergency surgery the next morning…as soon as they put the iv’s in, getting ready to do the surgery they put the anti-flare up medication FLAGYL Intravenously through the IV and my thighs all the way down my legs to my feet went NUMB. I couldn’t feel anything from my thighs down. They immediately called down a Neurologist and come to find out I had an allergic reaction to the FLAGYL. After the surgery the surgeon had to move the colostomy bad from the right side of my stomach to the left due to the hernia that was growing behind my stoma. They told me it was almost an 11 hour surgery due to many complications from Children’s hospital. Mind you, they also told me not only did I have hernia, they had to move my colostomy bag, I had an allergic reaction to the FLAGYL, and Children's hospital MISDIAGNOSED ME. I NEVER HAD COLITIS….I HAD CHRONS DISEASE THE ENTIRE TIME- ALL THOSE YEARS SINCE I WAS 14! And on top of it. I have neuropathy. I couldn’t and still to this day, from the age of 18 and now I’m 33 can NOT feel anything like I said from my thighs down to my feel. I was on every single medication for nerve damage. NOTHING WORKED. I DID NOT want to be on pain meds my whole life and depend and get addicted to them. I had and still to this day have a great neurologist out of Bmc. He is one of the top best ones there who also knows how to do EMG’s on patients. I am on a wicked high dose. 600mg Tablet; take 2 tablets (1200mg) by mouth 3x a day. You cannot take more than 4000mg a day or it will not go through your liver. So it’s basically a waste. I had to go off of them for 8 days and my legs weren’t numb anymore they actually started to HURT badly. Fortunately I got back on them. My doctor did put me on Lyrica as well as being on the gabapentin but a low dose. I got off them because they didn’t help. So still to this day I get EMG’s every 6 months and still take my prescription of Gabapentin everyday. It really helps a lot and I have had so many surgeries in my stomach due to all the complications when I was younger, unfortunately I have nerve damage in my back. I am soon due for 2 MRI’s soon one in my Upper And lower back. Due to my neuropathy I do trip a lot because I can’t feel my feet and do have to sleep with a heating pad due to the pain in my lower back. I am nervous about the outcome of The MRIS but I just have to Pray for the best and hope it’s not some other crazy complication. But in all honesty the GABAPENTIN HAS HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY BEYOND WORDS. Read More Read Less

randy | 55-64 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/15/2022
Condition: Pain Originating From a Nerve

Started taking gabapentin about a month ago. started at 300 mg a day for 2 weeks, then went up to 600mg a day for less than a week and started having different pain and more than before. I was prescribed this for left side pain of my arm,buttock and leg. After taking 600 mg daily my left arm pain got much better but the other pain was still there and was different type of pain in my left calf. doctor asked me to try 400 mg a day instead to see if there was any change.Not sure if it is helping that much or not.Read More Read Less

Dani | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/8/2022

Taking this for sciatic nerve pain radiating from my back down left leg literally all day every day, presumably caused by 2 disc protrusions L4-L5, L5-S1 and arthritis inflammation. I've been taking it for about a month now - 300mg 3x day. Still no relief, no side effects. I have a very high tolerance for medications, or maybe it's because I'm over weight, who knows. Doc appt next week to see what the next step is.

Jim | 65-74 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/21/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I was prescribed gabapentin for extreme pain in my fingers, hand, wrist and forearm by the VA prior to carpel tunnel surgery. 300mg twice a day. After a few days the pain went away which was great, but about a week later I started having very bad leg pain, especially behind my knees and hamstring muscles. After a few more days I could barely walk and had to shuffle my feet to get around. I couldn't bend to tie my shoes without extreme pain and forget about getting in and out of a car. I stopped taking it and I'm starting to feel better. This drug works, but be aware of some nasty side effects. Read More Read Less

Susie | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/17/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I tried this instead of Lyrica which wasn't working for me. From the first pill on a low dose, I had nausea, headache, and dizziness. Tried for over a week with no easing of bad symptoms or neuropathic releif.

taky | 19-24 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/23/2022

I was prescribed this for anxiety and depression I really feel good and happy, it make you high but this is better than feel depression and sad,I take 400 mg in the morning and 400 at evening, its a life changer but be careful and dont abuse it or you will be addicted to it and you will lose your mind ,but if you take it as dr say you ,you will get great feelings and you will be good

Cornbread | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
2/25/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

In 2008 was in farm accident. Put me on 4000 mg a day in 2011 took left leg off and dropped to 2400 mg per day and been on that amount ever since. Some days I forget it and can’t really tell it.. I don’t think I need medication all I need is to find a doctor that gives a hoot.. In the past 14 years I’ve been to every kind of doctor except an OBG doctor. None of then gives a heck. And yes I have insurance bcbs

Dee | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/20/2022
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

This medication was prescribed to me for neuropathy, which affects my legs from the knee down to my feet. All was well until I got up to full dose and my legs would start shaking. I had 5 falls while on this medication, one of which fractures my pelvis. 10 days in the hospital because I was also having hallucinations. Many of the elderly are prescribed this medication. I wonder if the fall risk in nursing homes would be lessened if a different med was prescribed. There are other options.

Shandy | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/19/2022
Condition: Involuntary Quivering

Taking this for Whole-body Restless Legs Syndrome since Thanksgiving '21. Coincidentally also drink too much alcohol, have depression and anxiety, and severe nerve pain from shoddy epidural 25 years ago. I am medicated for all the above except the nerve pain. After two months of taking this I can say: reduced nerve pain in thigh, greatly subdued RLS, no effect on mental state, REDUCED extreme PMS (including PMS alcohol cravings). I am a happy camper with Gabapentin.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
1/15/2022

I was taking this as needed for anxiety, but now I take it regularly. It works great for anxiety and sleep. The only downside I notice is that my appetite increases if I take an extra dose on bad days, so I have to be careful of what I eat on those days. I also think it can be addictive, as I feel I need more of it even though I'm on the maximum dose allowed by my doctor.

Carmen | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/28/2021
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

It works good buti feel like I need a higher dose for it can last dose to dose but I can tell it's working I'm satisfied ....

TBR | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
11/6/2021

I take 100 mg to 300 mg nightly prior to bedtime for both a deeper longer sleep period as well as restless leg syndrome. Very effective. No side affects.

V | 19-24 | Nonbinary | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/22/2021

I took this medication when I was 12 or 13 for managing my Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (previously known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy). I experienced zero benefit from the medication and I dealt with side effects, with the most prominent being severe suicidal thoughts which I had never experienced before. This planted a seed in my head that I have never been able to fully recover from.

Jakekewi7 | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Caregiver
10/7/2021

I suffer from extreme migraines I find this drug helps to ease the intensity of the migraines I do get. Reduces the amount of migraines I get Cons: find it hard to stay asleep at night time on this drug. Day I am drowsy and am barely functional.

DEPRESSION | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/6/2021
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

After taking this for a few weeks I decided to ween myself off of it due to depression, hopelessness, exhausting, confusion, and feeling high. It did not make me feel like my normal self. I would advise anyone who is feeling depressed after taking this to ween yourself off of it.

Pain treatment | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/3/2021
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I realize, even though it takes up to four weeks to feel the full affect, I knew after the fourth day, that this drug is not for me. It made me feel like I was on a constant high. I took it at night and felt extremely groggy during the entire day. I could not drive or even function responsibly. I feel like this affects your mental mobility, so it probably works well for those whom have mental issues or seizures. Not for pain treatment. Thumbs down.

Anonymous | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
8/25/2021
Condition: Involuntary Quivering

No noticeable side effects. I take 100 mg nightly for leg tremors caused by spinal nerve damage. The medication reduces and often eliminates the tremors. t

jim pasutti | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
8/17/2021
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

I think it has done nothing to relieve neuropathy in my feet. Igive this medication a very poor rating. one other doctor said the pain woulg be permanent even after surgery.

Mary | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
7/30/2021
Condition: Neuropathic Pain

Taken for nerve pain due to degloving injuries to thighs.